Setup is restarting... fatal error

• Thread starter stj-zeppelin
  • Start date
S

stj-zeppelin

Well, i'm not really sure what section this thread should be in so i apolgize in advance.
Ok, the other day i was playing monopoly ty****, while, my pc froze. So i figured i should update some drviers and all that.
Everything worked out ok... i went to bed and my roomate stayed in the pc. Then the next morning i started the pc and i got something like a hal.dll file is missing (he said he didn't notice anything wrong) <- yeah right.

Anyway, i decided to reinstall windows xp (stupid i know, not very smart!!), i have a brunt copy and anyway... it got to the 3rd stage "installing windows" and then came up "FATAL ERROR" SETUP LOG DOES NOT contain enough information to install ( or some mojo ike that) i click ok then the setup log pops up "product catalog files are missing" ( or something along those lines)

Anyway now when ever i reboot my pc it goes directly into "SETUP is restarting..." then give me those horrible errors.

Please help me.....:blink:

do a format and reinstall windows ha wouldnt think it would block out **** in ty****

well, that will be my last resort, of course.
but thanks
anyone else?
:cool:

wait hold up can you still get into your old installation???

when i boot up, it goes directly to "SETUP IS RESTARTING...", then screen goes black, hour glass comes up and then i see the install screen for about 10 seconds, then fatal error!

Boot to your XP CD and select the second repair option about four screens in (do not take the first repair option - that will drop you at the repair console). Then allow XP to do a "repair installation", installing on top of itself. It will repair any errors but will not mess up registry entries, so you won't have to reinstall your programs.

ok, thats sounds good. i'll give that a try.

I'll let you all know what happens

:) thanks again

Be sure to Press "R" at that second repair option or you'll end up with a "new installation" and your registry will be overwritten and you'll have to reinstall your apps.

i did press "r" and it was trying to repair. then a internal error came up... "cannot finsh installation. blah blah blah... contact your sys admin"

so i formated and plan on reinstalling tonight! lol got to love it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back