Setup Error

lieb39

Apple lover, PC User
Hi,

I'm having trouble with my Dell laptop (dlieb) The problem is simply trying to install programs. Whenever I try to install programs like GTA (downloaded off the Rockstar website, they are giving it away for free) or Vue trail I get an error message. This error messge is resolved if I burn the setup files to a cd, and run it off there. I have a NTFS drive with the an OEM Windows XP SP1 Professional.

The error message reads:

Can't run 16-bit Windows Program

Cannot find the file C:\Vue d'Esprit\Setup\SETUP.EXE (or one of its components). Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are avaliable.

I try running in normal and compatibility mode, both times I get the same error message. HELP!!!

Thanks,

lieb39

Do you have 8.3 filename creation disabled?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\ FileSystem
NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

Yes it is on (1)

I know I tweaked my computer according to tweaktown guide... what else?

It should be on 0 (zero). Many programs still depend on these short file names.

If you enable short file name creation now, this will only affect newly created or modified files.

In the example you mentioned it may (or may not) work to give the Vue d'Esprit folder a name that corresponds to the DOS file name convention (max 8 characters plus extension and no spaces).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back