"Setup cannot format the partition" message

Update: Formatting with WD Data Lifeguard tools did not work.

Will try with the memory tonight or tomorrow.

Acts of desperation:

1) Repair track 0 on both drives using WD tools or MBRtool. Sometimes windows will stomp on track 0 in a fit of piracy prevention.

2) swap which drive is on which sata cable. - really reaching here.

So I tried doing it with one of the RAM modules removed, and then the other one. Both didn't work.

Run the WD tools on each drive by itself; see if either drive comes back with errors or tests bad. Sure sounds like a bad HardDrive.

Hi,

I am having the very same problem :mad: with my SATA disk and an ASUS MOBO.

Windows cannot format the disk, it simply CANNOT no matter what. I already exchanged my SATA disk (it was a Samsung HD160JJ) for another model (a Seagate Barracuda) and the problem remains!!!

Since I could not install the OS on this disk, I decided to use my PATA disks for the installation and then, later, use Windows Disk Manager to format the SATA disk.

However even after the installation Windows could not format the disk! The symptoms were the same, format proceeds smoothly but when it reaches 100% Windows says it did not complete sucessfully and the disk remains unusable.

Some things I already tried:

- Exchanged the disk for a new model.
- Exchanged the SATA cable.
- Disconnected all my PATA disks leving only the SATA disk connected.
- Checked my BIOS settings and configured the controller for SATA (instead of RAID).
- Installed the MOBO drivers on my working Windows XP and tried to format the SATA disk.

None of these worked.

Now I will try to update my BIOS to see what happens.

I think this might be an issue with my VIA chipset. What do you think?

Did you try to flash an updated BIOS?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was trying both the Asus SATA ports and the Silicon Image ports. neither worked. I was just stumped on how to install. In the meantime, I am installed on an IDE that worked without a hitch.

I was trying both the Asus SATA ports and the Silicon Image ports. neither worked. I was just stumped on how to install. In the meantime, I am installed on an IDE that worked without a hitch.

1. Stand up and turn to the nearest window in your location.
2. Open the window.
3. Go back to your desk and proceed pick up the WD/HDD's.
4. Raise your arm up over your head and throw the WD/HDD's out of the window you just openend.

Sorry that was uncalled for I just not resist the temptation. I might have a solution. I'll get back to you in a mo.
This happened to me when I used to use WD HDD

I've never had a problem with using WD

I've never had a problem with using WD

OK back track.

You installed the HDD's, and all fine untill you installed the OS and formatted the HDD via WINXP which gets to 100% and then fails, therefore the SATA cables seam to be working because if they were not then you would not get to 100% when installing.

Because you are using RAID0, did you Press F6 on the first boot of installing XP. I know it's a silly question but, I have to ask.

What is the make of your M/B again please full modle if possible.

Yep, I install the SATA drivers and my motherboard is an Asus A8N SLI Deluxe

Not alone

You are not alone Brad, I have the exact same motherboard, a WD 74gb raptor drive a 250gb WD cavalier, and the EXACT same problem. Maybe I can elaborate on the issue by giving my whole story. It's a bit lengthy, but I think it will help. For the record this is a brand new computer.

First thing I did: Installed 64 bit windows successfully on my machine. Unfortunatly I learned that in order to connect to my university network, I needed software that only ran on a 32 bit platform. Go Pittsburgh.

Second thing I did: Tried reformatting with the 32 bit windows disk. When setup got to the point of trying to detect previous partitions, I got the blue screen with a hex instruction and an error. My speculation was that it was some sort of compatibilty issue between the two platforms.

Third thing I did: Deleted the previous partition with the 64 bit windows disk, aborted the rest of the installation, and tried to format using the 32 bit disk. This is when I recieved Brad's error.

Fourth thing I did: Tried to format using the 64 bit disk, and still got Brad's error. So now I can't install any version of windows.

Fifth and so on: Tried most of the thing you guys suggested, even tried to zero out the HD's with the WD diagnostic program, and still nothing.

So I hope this post helps with the investigation, and good luck to anyone who is attempting to solve this puzzle.

-Scott

I just had the exact same problem. I may have a workable fix.

0. Had Windows XP setup on my NV4 Chipset RAID (Stripe set) and decided to install fresh. When I had XP setup wipe the partition and then create a new one, I tried formatting it and got the error described above.

1. After trying various fiddling with BIOS settings and frusterated web searching, I tried installing with a different copy of windows. I "located" a copy of windows with SP2 integrated and it formatted the drive(s) just fine. This is using the same F6 method of installing the same drivers with both different Windows XP installation disks. All I can think is that the updated NV4 RAID driver has some dependency on something that comes with SP2 (something that is missing from the original WinXP disk)

2. After formatting with the SP2 disk I quit out and was able to install with the original XP disk (it saw the formatted partition and was able to use it no problem)

Anyway, hope this helps. My only other suggestion would be to search around for different (perhaps older) driver versions for your RAID controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back