"Setup cannot format the partition" message

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Hiya folks,

I am truly stumped on this one.

I had a problem on my last hard drive, so I replaced the hard drive with two WD 2500KS hard drives to run in a RAID0.

In my BIOS, I set to have Large disk support as well as activated my RAID SATA ports on my motherboard.

I went into the RAID setup and configured for a RAID0 with a 64k stripe. (Read that all this time, my drives are being recognized, so I do not believe that they have been damaged)

I start Windows installation (first loading my SATA controller drivers). Setup sees my full 473GB partition and I go to format and install.

When the format gets to 100%, I get an error that states that "Setup cannot format the partition" and states that it might be due to drive damage or to incorrectly configured SCSI termination.

What did I do to troubleshoot this, you ask?

I...

a. tried installing on only one of the drives
b. tried installing on both drives on different ports
c. tried installing on both drives with different cables

Please folks, I am at my whit's end and just want to be able to fold again :(. Please help :dead:

UPDATE: Here is the actual text of the message:

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information..

You must select a different partition for Windows XP.
To continue, press ENTER

Last edited:
are you installing the raid drivers before you format the drives in xp install by pressing f6? ( i think its f6 anyway)

It may be the disc, and you could also try deleting and re-creating the partition itself and thus reformatting.

Also, in weird instances, sometimes it's best to use a "non-CDRW" drive to install XP from. Not sure why, but sometimes when things are going downwards I have tried that and gotten it to work

are you installing the raid drivers before you format the drives in xp install by pressing f6? ( i think its f6 anyway)

yep.

It may be the disc, and you could also try deleting and re-creating the partition itself and thus reformatting.

Also, in weird instances, sometimes it's best to use a "non-CDRW" drive to install XP from. Not sure why, but sometimes when things are going downwards I have tried that and gotten it to work

I'll try the other drive. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
So I tried on my other optical drive and it still a no go. The strange thing is that it used to work. I wonder if I try it on an IDE drive, if it will work then.

Only way to really know is to experiment. Also want to double-check the disc and did you try deleting the partition and re-formatting?

Only way to really know is to experiment. Also want to double-check the disc and did you try deleting the partition and re-formatting?

many, many, many times. I cannot create the partition in the first place, due to the problem that I am having. :(

Oops, haha - duh :dead:

Check the CD next perhaps? Try another machine that you can safely format and even try a different drive.

Yep, I have tried 2 different drives (both sata), 2 different Windows discs, and a different optical. like i said, I am stumped :(

Have you tried hooking the drive up in another PC that already has Windows installed, and creating the partition through Windows and Disk Management?

-edit-

How big does the BIOS and Windows see the drive as, and have you tried a Quick Format as well?

Both BIOS and Windows see the drive as the correct size (232GB). I have not tried to put the drive in another computer, as I do not have one readily available. I am about to try partition magic on it and see if that will work.

EDIT: Still no go with Partition Magic
rant.gif

Last edited:
Had this issue myself setting up the windows 2003 AD fileserver at home. Turns out it was the optical drive couldn't read the disc. Swapped the optical drive and away it went.

So either you need to change cd (if its cd-r use different media) if its the official CD, try a different optical drive.

I think he said he tried multiple drives and multiple CDs

yep. I have one more optical drive that I can try, after that, I am offically out of options.

EDIT: It still doesn't work and I am out of options. This install worked before I replaced the hard drives. I seriously doubt that they are both damaged though.

Last edited:
anyone else want to give it a crack?

Have you tried formatting with Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools?

ive had that error a few times myself in work.. changing ram solved it straight away..

you can test your old ram aswel with memtest 86+
http://www.memtest.org/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back