Setup an small office network

Kush

High On Life!
hey guys, i am going to setup a small office network for someone i know in dubai, this is going to be like 8 desktop computers and 1 server. how should i set it up so the server has dsl. one nic card to the dsl and one to the local network or would that not be professional? also my isp told me that i should run proxy software like winroute if i dont want to right click on the connection and share it, i think that would be unprofessional. another thing is the server will probably be running windows server 2003 standard edition, i want to learn how to enable the dchp so all the ip's and settings automatically get on each machine how do i do that, and finally how can i add wireless to this network as an extra, just by connecting a wireless router? i know the networking basics but just wanted the network to be more professional so i knew to ask you guys!

ohh one more thing, how can i use the proxy software to block sites that could infect the pcs with spyware or like some sites i wouldnt want the employees to access like kazaa.com or somthing displaying a page that says You are not allowed to view this page etc thanks alot in advance

I think a good router/firewall is prob the best solution. We use Sonicwall TZ170's for the small business systems we build here. Very configurable, esp for what you are doing, i.e. blocking bad sites, DHCP assignment to client pc's etc. They do make a wireless capable router also, but we've never used it. Take a look at it on their website.
If you're looking not to invest in anything that pricey, then yes, Server 2003 should be able to handle doing what you want. A few of our customers have bought their own Linksys router/firewalls and they seem to be happy with them also. Server 2003 should do everything the router will, I just personally feel more comfortable with a hardware solution vs. a software one, not to mention it's likely easier to configure/manage.

so if i wanna use the hardware solution how would i set it up, ahh ok well just have it setup as the server with no need for a server, ok i got u and put the net to come in from the trouters wan port, ok i did that for my friends pc, ill see what their requirments are, would there be any things better about server 2003 than the router?

ok they said they want the server to be able to manage the management intergrated system, and what the emplyees are doing on the net, and backing up their data that they have of clients etc, like software that does accounting/commercial work. i told him try quiken, so i think that means i do need a server?

Yes, you've got it. The DSL will come in thru the Wan port on the router, thus you wont need more than one ip, the router will do NAT. Can save some $ there if you don't need additional ip's. Yes, Quicken and the Server sounds like the solution you're looking for. You can use the Server 2003 to authenticate network access...i.e. shared network directories, printers etc, and to back up client data. They could run a web server, ftp server or whatever from within the business, you would simply allow access in the router/firewall for it. As far as managing what they do on the internet, I know you can allow/deny acess to sites from within the Sonicwall, and they have a content blocker service you can purchase with the unit, or later on if you deem it neccesary.I'm not as familiar with this service on other brands so you'd have to check that one out. Most of the hardware solutions will guide you thru these processes, so you shouldn't have a difficult time with it.

so looks like we will have a computer on the network basically with a dvd writer to do all the backing up blah blah with more specs, and the router for the network? but dont think i will be able to get sonic wall in dubai whats next best in ur opinion after it? i know that linksys has like security holes, so i think d-link is good what do u think.

DLink are ok IMO. We actually used them here before we used the Sonicwalls. Not quite as many bells and whistles (no content filter etc) but you can get software to do that...NetNanny or similar.

yeah so ur basically says dont go linksys right? but even though shouldnt it be good? since it has cisco technologies?

Well, our customers seem to be happy with Linksys. I realize that security holes have been discovered, but I think you'll find that in just about any product. Just lock it down as much as possible. It should be easier to do in a business environment vs home. Don't have all those p2p progs to make holes for! :p

haha, thats the thing, they might wanna use those programs, ill just make it clear if the owner of the company doesnt want them to use it, ill make him say it to them DONT USE THEM OR U GET IN TROUBLE. hehe yeah linksys is ok i like how they look and such, my friend has one in the compound i set it up for him so thats how i know about the wan port etc

I would not go with a DVD writer - I would get a tape system - personally...

You can get fancy about backups, or take a brute force approach and back EVERYTHING up on a FIXED cycle - I think you will find the latter approach pays handsomly in terms of simplicity and everyone knows where they are at.... and I think for that you may find DAT tape drive works best?

If anyone else knows better of course.....

I would agree with Mainframe guy. Tape solution is much more effective. Make sure you have a good schedule and follow it faithfully. Rotate backups offsite for disaster recovery contingency. Put backups in a firesafe that are left onsite...even if you go with the DVD solution.

yeah u guys are right, i will probably go with the tape, and get a dvd writer as an extra not only for backup, how can i automate a backup of certain files on the network?

If you purchase a new tape backup, you should get some type of backup software with it. It should let you schedule backups of local files and network shares, so that everything is automated. You just have to change the tapes.

cool, thanks alot for your help, patriot! and mainframeguy, will post when i am doing the configurations if i have problems

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread. :p
Question: How would one go about installing MS Office on a server so that all the client PCs can use the software? As far as I'm aware, MS Office installs some system files and maybe adds a few lines to the registry file in order for the software to be usable (maybe I'm wrong).

yeah i was also wondering is there a way since i have the sp2 network version if i can put it on the server and have it disperse to all computers on the network with xp automatically? if not its ok i like going around and sticking the cd in every comp

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back