Setting up SQL Server 2000 to run as a local user

fixitchris

OSNN Junior Addict
According to this article it doesn't take much to set up SQL service to run as a local user and not LOCALSYSTEM... but I have tried that and I fail. The Sql service will not start up, it hangs. Is there a guide out there for this?

Thanks
Chris

how about telling us what version of SQL and how it "failed"? how did you try to change the startup account?

I'll mess with it on lunch since it will probably bring down ISA server.

2000 SP3.

Replace both the MSSQLServer and SQLServerAgent service accounts (with LocalSystem) with a selected account
Provide this new account with the right to read in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL directory, remembering to check the "Reset permissions on all child objects" option in the Advanced dialog box
Grant full privileges in DATA and LOG sub-directories for this new account
Run the registry using regedt32.exe (in such a manner so as to allow for editing of privileges - use regedit.exe if in Windows XP) and grant full permissions for the account in the registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer. Re-run the "Reset permissions on all child objects ..."
Grant read permission to the account (read only!) in the registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQLSERVER
Run the MSSQLServer service
Add the service account to the sysadmin server role (to support the SQLServerAgent service), using the following SQL commands:
1> sp_grantlogin 'COMPUTER\account_sql'
2> go
Granted login access to 'COMPUTER\account_sql'.
1> sp_addsrvrolemember 'COMPUTER\account_sql','sysadmin'
2> go
'COMPUTER\account_sql' added to role 'sysadmin'.

I'm gonna look through these too ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283811/en-us
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143691.aspx

you do realize that if you use enterprise manager to change the service account pasword, it will make all these necessary changes for you.

No, i was not aware. Someone installed 2005 Studio over it and I can't find the 2000 tools... is there a way to get them back?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back