Setting up SQL Server 2000 to run as a local user

fixitchris

OSNN Junior Addict
According to this article it doesn't take much to set up SQL service to run as a local user and not LOCALSYSTEM... but I have tried that and I fail. The Sql service will not start up, it hangs. Is there a guide out there for this?

Thanks
Chris

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
how about telling us what version of SQL and how it "failed"? how did you try to change the startup account?

fixitchris

OSNN Junior Addict
I'll mess with it on lunch since it will probably bring down ISA server.

2000 SP3.

Replace both the MSSQLServer and SQLServerAgent service accounts (with LocalSystem) with a selected account
Provide this new account with the right to read in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL directory, remembering to check the "Reset permissions on all child objects" option in the Advanced dialog box
Grant full privileges in DATA and LOG sub-directories for this new account
Run the registry using regedt32.exe (in such a manner so as to allow for editing of privileges - use regedit.exe if in Windows XP) and grant full permissions for the account in the registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer. Re-run the "Reset permissions on all child objects ..."
Grant read permission to the account (read only!) in the registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQLSERVER
Run the MSSQLServer service
Add the service account to the sysadmin server role (to support the SQLServerAgent service), using the following SQL commands:
1> sp_grantlogin 'COMPUTER\account_sql'
2> go
Granted login access to 'COMPUTER\account_sql'.
1> sp_addsrvrolemember 'COMPUTER\account_sql','sysadmin'
2> go
'COMPUTER\account_sql' added to role 'sysadmin'.

I'm gonna look through these too ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283811/en-us
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143691.aspx

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
you do realize that if you use enterprise manager to change the service account pasword, it will make all these necessary changes for you.

fixitchris

OSNN Junior Addict
No, i was not aware. Someone installed 2005 Studio over it and I can't find the 2000 tools... is there a way to get them back?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillianrhodes