setting up my pc for remote access

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
As some of you might know I am trying to take a job in Kuwait. While I ma gone I would like to be able to access the files on my pc from anywhere securely. Can anyone point out how I can accomplish this. Thanks

Setup - WinXP w/SP2 will be connect into a Linksys router

If the host machine has XP Pro installed, you can use the built-in Remote Desktop. This page should get you started: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx
Keep in mind that you will need to configure your router to forward port 3389 to the internal IP of the host machine.

I would also recommend looking into one of the VNC flavors - my personal preference is UltraVNC, because it tends to be the most responsive of all of them for me (due to the video hook drivers). Basically, this method involves installing VNC on both the host and guest machines, setting up the VNC server on the host (you can specify any listening port), configure the router as above using the port number you specify, and use the VNC client on the other machine to access the host.

Try both and see which one works better for you. Remote Desktop should be easier to setup since it's already installed, but VNC might be a little more responsive on lower bandwidth connections.

Thanks NetRyder, I should have mentioned that my machine is XP home edition, and a VCN might not be possible till I get a laptop so I would be using PC's at like an internet cafe' or some semblance there of. Can I still use Remote Desktop with home.

Maveric169 said:
Thanks NetRyder, I should have mentioned that my machine is XP home edition, and a VCN might not be possible till I get a laptop so I would be using PC's at like an internet cafe' or some semblance there of. Can I still use Remote Desktop with home.
Unfortunately, XP Home only includes the Remote Desktop client, so you wouldn't be able to use it as a host.

However, you can still use VNC. After you install the VNC server on the host machine, you'll need to configure it to accept HTTP connections (you can specify the port number for this as well) in addition to the regular connection. This way, you can connect to the host machine from a client in the internet cafe just using a Java applet in your web browser. You won't need to install any software on the client machine.

well have fun in kuwait its a really great place from what ive heard, havent been there myself yet, but will go sometime soon

NetRyder said:
Unfortunately, XP Home only includes the Remote Desktop client, so you wouldn't be able to use it as a host.

However, you can still use VNC. After you install the VNC server on the host machine, you'll need to configure it to accept HTTP connections (you can specify the port number for this as well) in addition to the regular connection. This way, you can connect to the host machine from a client in the internet cafe just using a Java applet in your web browser. You won't need to install any software on the client machine.
Are there any VNC's that you can recomend? I am guessing that VNC's works very similar to a VPN other than I don't need software installed on both ends, just the pc I am connecting to.

themafia_69 said:
well have fun in kuwait its a really great place from what ive heard, havent been there myself yet, but will go sometime soon
Thanks themafia_69, I am looking forward to it so I really hope I get the job. So much paperwork to do sucks, but ohhh well:) I will keep in touch no matter where I am!

Maveric169 said:
Are there any VNC's that you can recomend? I am guessing that VNC's works very similar to a VPN other than I don't need software installed on both ends, just the pc I am connecting to.
VNC and VPN (virtual private networks) are two completely different things.

VNC works like Terminal Services or Remote Desktop Connection in Windows. It's the app that allows you to remotely control your PCs. A VPN is a way to provide remote access to an internal network (LAN) via the public internet using secure tunnels.

Which VNC flavor would I recommend? I'd say UltraVNC: http://ultravnc.sf.net

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back