Setting up an wireless network -- need help

scsa20

Simonsoft Network
Okey, I really need help getting this up... I have a Netgear Wireless router (the one that plugs into a hub and you can hook it up thru. USB to configure it) and the computer that has the hub hooked up to is running XP Pro (my computer)... a Netgear Wireless PCI card for my sister's notebook (running XP Home) and a SMC Wireless adaptur (that plugs into USB -- running 98SE). I want to know how I could set up file shearing on all of the computers and have it shear the printer (the printer is hooked onto the 98 mechine) and I need to know how to do that with both the notebook and my computer.... so can anyone help me out?? thanks.

ok can you get on to the internet from all the machines? also did you run the network wizard on the xp machines and use the floppy (the one thats made when your installing the network on XP) for the win98se machine?

the 98 mechine has it's own internet but I want to remove that one... the notebook doesn't get internet (even after getting the network card in) Yeah, I used the network wizard on the XP mechines without success.

oh, I want to add in another question: is there anything I need to set up in ZoneAlarm so that it doesn't compline or something??

ok first off disable zonealarm untill you get the internet goin that might be why you cant get it to work and you have to add the ip's into zone alarms trusted thing i forgot what it is been along time sence ive used it and see if you can log onto the router from your main machine the ip is 192.168.1.1

I disabled zonealarm, but the notebook still can't connect and I try to ping that IP on the desktop and just came with a timeout error :(

btw... on the notebook, I went into the command prompt and see what it's IP is, nothing showed up -_-'

ok so you have the internet on one computer? and try this go to command type ipconfig /release_all then type ipconfig /renew and it should put the ip in and can you log onto the router?

I have 2 desktop computers connected to it's own internet, I want to remove the internet on the 98 mechine and shear it thru. wireless... I want the notebook to shear the internet thru wireless also... the notebook computer doesn't have a IP address (in fact, I have the notebook right next to me right now so I could get the 100% signal tell I get it set up)... I tried releaseing and renewing the IP on the notebook, still coming back with no IP :(

ok so the only thing thats not on the net is the notebook?

yeah... but soon (once I figure out how), I'm going to disconnect the other computer from the net and have it start shearing the net thru. the wireless network....

can you log onto the router? and id try the different options you have with the xp network wizard

nope, I'm all new to this networking thing... but I tried everything, I even turned on that network wireless brige thingy that's on the notebook (every 3 sec. it pops up a message thingy saying that it isn't connected) so I just disabled it.

ok heres what i want you to do logon to the router using one of the lan computers type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar then its goin to pop up a login window leave the login name blank and put admin as the password that will log you into the router then you need to turn on the wireless option which should be on already if not turn it on then click the status tab on the top of the page and click DHCP release and everything on that page should be zero's then click DHCP renew and then close the browser and try to surf the net

okey, I try going to that, nothing came up, I found out what the IP was for the router, so I tried that, still didn't work... but I do know how to get it to config... do I have to turn on DHCP??

lol ok did you read the instructions that came with the router and have you looked at netgear.com/support page? they might have more answers then i do plus would be alot faster cuz im stumped now you did mention that its runnin off a usb?

it's running on USB for configuration only, but it's hooked thru and hub for the network... the instruction manua that came with the router doesn't give you much details... netgear's support pages... not much info there.

ok so the only thing wrong is you cant get the notebook to connect to the lan right? hmm ok well what we can do is assign the ip to the notebook and try it that way im assuming that the 2 desktops are 100, 101. so the notebook is goin to be 102 have you assigned ip's before?

all 3 computers are not on a network... I want to get the notebook on the network first, then the other.

lol so there not on there at all? you should work with the lan first then the wan

lol, I might just look for someone to come out and set it up for me, cuz now I'm 100% confuse and I quit for today (it's 11:20 pm, my sister is going to be home soon and my sister doesn't even want me to touch "her" notebook (even tho she knows I still need to get the network up and running)).

Ok if i get ur computer setup wrong tell me. So u got a wireless router and ur sisters computer with a wireless card and ur notebook with a wireless adapter look on the back of ur router do u see the port that says wan on it that is ur internet souce cable modem dsl or a (main computer) or hub. Hook that up to the source now did u config the router at all if u did look on the router front or back for a reset button if it needs a pin to reset it get one. Reset and the defualt settings will go on the router that is show the router is set up on dhcp. If u have a dsl or cable modem hooked up in the wan port then u are all done just setup the other computers with the nics to be dhcp. On your sisters computer since it is xp stay a min or two and a box will come up saying if u want to conect to ur router say yes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back