setting up a wireless network

bigdave50uk

OSNN Junior Addict
I have two machines one running xp and one running me, i wanted to wireless network them but i'm not sure what i need or what to do, will i be able to just use two wireless cards?

ming

OSNN Advanced
Run network setup wizard on the XP machine. On the last screen it'll ask you if you want to create a network setup disk. Create the disk and run it on the machine with ME installed. This should then enable the two machines to see and communicate with each other.

bigdave50uk said:
will i be able to just use two wireless cards?
as far as my limited knowledge goes, you need a central location for the wireless cards to have their information sent to and from, a translator type situation [most likely a router of the same wireless standard (ie 802.11b, 802.11g)]

you might be able to use just the cards somehow someway...but I really don't think so (my lack of nifty trick knowledge shows through)

so 2 cards (one for each 'puter) and a router (better than a hub, in my opinion) should be a sufficient physical setup, and as ming said, just run network config on xp, create disc for ME machine (when prompted after running on XP) and load it up

hope that helps a little :)

ming

OSNN Advanced
Would be better if you had something in the middle. Best if you had DSL, then you can get a DSL modem+wireless router, which acts as a gateway to the net for both machines.

You can setup an ad-hoc network between the two computers (a friend and I set one up between our notebooks during econ class everyday) and then I think you should be able to setup internet connection sharing on one of them, but as said above, a router or other gateway is probably the best way.

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
vonschlieffen said:
You can setup an ad-hoc network between the two computers (a friend and I set one up between our notebooks during econ class everyday) and then I think you should be able to setup internet connection sharing on one of them, but as said above, a router or other gateway is probably the best way.
agreed - and if you add a wireless access point you really are "sorted", I spent about £130 on EdiMax kit and it got me a DSL router, WLAN accesspoint and couple of dongles. Since my notebook is wireless already and my desktop is wired to router this enables my network of four computers and was painless to set up (did NOT use the wizard, it makes bridges which you then have to disable anyway!)

So it comes down to what you want to spend and what you're using the network for.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samhicks