Setting up a server?

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
I am thinking about setting up a server at home but at the moment i am using an ISDN line which disconnects after a 2 hour period, what would be the best way to set this up and what kind of software would i need.I am new to this server stuff apart from being a user at work.

depends what you wanna us eit for.
If its just to share connection over LAN then you just need a bog standard box to run Smoothwall on, i dunno much bout that thou, never used it ;)

IF u wanna run ftp servers and actually use it for summet good aswell, then depending on what OS u wanna slap on, ull need a better spec.

NT4 can run quite happily on a 400mhz cpu + 128 if its just light stuff :) but if you have hundreds of users :p (unlikly) then u need more cpu stuff.

I run my server on (see sig) and it runs fine. I run FTP, MS Proxy, Shoutcast etc etc. All works fine and dandy :)

If u use Win2k Pro/Server then just use the internet connection sharing software on there, that works fine :) - if u wanna go bit more technical then use summet else, like MSProxy :) which is good :D

As for your connection - i think u shud be able to get it to redial when disconnected :)

HTH

Server Info..

Ya.. i have a copy of:

2000 Server
2000 Advanced Server
Exchange Server
.Net Server (currently running on home server)
Solaris 8 (intel)
Redhat 8.0

Warez Trading (Or Implying Illegal Software Trading) Is Not Allowed. See Forum Guidelines

Peace

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back