Setting Screen Resolution on Log in

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
In Windows XP is it possible to set a specific screen resolution based on who is logging on? I manage a computer lab at a school and we have a keyboarding program that runs at a resolution of 640x480. My question is can we set the default log on to 800x600 and have it change to 640x480 when a log on as "keylab" logs on?

I know they can learn how to change the screen resolution after they log on, bit it would be nice and faster if it were automatically done for them and then set back when they log off. These are 6th graders. Our monitors are 15."

Or can it be done by a script? They all log on as "keylab"

I believe there is a quick resolution program that comes with microsoft's windows powertoys.

Do you mean put the icon in the systray so they can chang it the their self?

you could always click on the programs properties and use the compatability tab to start the program in 640x480 and also 256 colours if need be.

In Windows 2k/XP the resolution is bound to the workstation rather than the user account (for various reasons), so unless that power toy has changed things it's not possible to have different resolutions for different users.

If they log on as individual accounts, ie... J. Smyth, Jane Student... etc. Then XP should remember their settings when they log off and then back on.

Are all the computers networked together to one main? Or what?

edit: I just reread yer post and saw that they all log on as "keylab" :eek:

I am going to try GoNz0's compatibility method first.

Thanks for the quick responses. You guys never cease to amaze me with your knowledge and resources.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back