WindowsXP SP1 RTM August 14

The release Notes:

What is SP1?
Windows XP Service Pack 1 includes bug fixes (over 1700) and product updates
released since build 2600 (RTM). The updates include support for USB 2.0 and
a supported version of IPv6.

The SP1 CD will include some eHome components such as support for Tablet PC,
Mira and Freestyle.

The Service Pack package will update both XP Professional and Home editions.
Windows XP Professional 64-bit edition will also have an SP1 version.
What is the release schedule?
Note: dates are always subject to change.

The XP SP1 beta schedule is at Beta is scheduled to begin May 31, 2002 for
English and German. A Japanese version is scheduled for two weeks later;
June 14, 2002.

XP SP1 is scheduled for release (RTW) on August 14, 2002. The English and
German versions will be released on August 14th, and other localized
language version will be released according to the schedule at What does it
add to my system?
USB 2.0
XP SP1 includes drivers to support USB 2.0 devices. Windows Catalog lists
third party hardware that supports USB 2.0 and that are compatible with
Windows XP.
USB 2.0 is an enhancement to USB 1.x and increases maximum transfer rates to
480Mbps.
IPv6
Windows XP shipped with a developer’s version of IPv6. Microsoft provides no
support whatsoever for that version in a production environment. It is for
testing and development only.
SP1 contains an update to IPv6. The SP1 version is supported. If installed,
the updated version of IPv6 is listed in the Local Area Connection
properties.
For more information about IPv6 see the Microsoft internal site http://ipv6,
or the external site http://www.microsoft.com/ipv6
Mira
SP1 add support in Windows XP for Mira. Mira is the code name for software
and hardware technology supporting portable display devices. The primary
technologies involved are; Windows XP on the Base Station, CE .NET and
802.11 on the display device.
For more information about Mira see the internal site http://teamsts/mira or
the external site http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mira/default.asp
Freestyle
SP1 adds support in Windows XP for Freestyle. Freestyle is the codename for
software and hardware technology supporting remote control of the PC. The
focus is on remote control of video, audio, photos, and TV from within the
PC. For more information about Freestyle see
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/default.asp

Mira and Freestyle are intended for home users, not a corporate environment.

Tablet PC
SP1 includes support for Tablet PCs. Major computer vendors are expected to
release models in the second half of 2002. For additional information about
the Table PC see http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/

And what will be the ranson for this new Bug Hunt? :rolleyes:

Got to agree with you Cosmin. I would not be suprised to hear that they already have sp1 & are working on it. Did not take them long to get spiderman & star wars.

I'm happy to see that this might be the end of the line for those operating pirated copies of XP (at least temporarily).

I'm a bit shocked that a minority of subscriber's to this forum operate in the pirated underground (mainly a few select criminals from outside of the United States). What do you think you really gain, other than trying to undermind the greatest democracy and super-power of all time?:mad:

Originally posted by SnookBooger
I'm a bit shocked that a minority of subscriber's to this forum operate in the pirated underground (mainly a few select criminals from outside of the United States). What do you think you really gain?:mad:

Eh? Someone pirated the underground? Does the London Mayor know? And are the few select pirates inside the USA not criminals?

Anway, when you install the Service pack the FCKGW product code that came with the Devils0wn release of Corporate XP released 24th August (my birthday ;)) WILL NOT WORK.

If you are still using this product key then you have had plenty of time to evaluate the product and should either revert to your previous operating system or purchase a copy of XP.

Er....the product key was cracked months ago. In fact with NO installation worries but some regedit skills, it is easy to change all that.

I think what prompted all the pirate stuff is people screaming MS will no longer support 98-2k as of next year. Thus scaring people into getting XP by any means. I have seen things in forums that work...forever. Anyhow I downloaded and am using SP1 and it locked up on me once. Only once. So far. Yeppers I can access the update page easily. But I don't have or use the infamous FCKxxxx product key. I DO wonder....when SP1 is released will having the beta:
a)make it impossible to upgrade to the final SP1
b)make it faster to upgrade to the final SP1

If I have to clean install one mo' time I'm buying a MAC.

--Rich

Well seeing as the betas where intended for bug-reporting and evaluation usage, why would they want people to use it ?

Originally posted by pmcartney
Er....the product key was cracked months ago. In fact with NO installation worries but some regedit skills, it is easy to change all that.

I think what prompted all the pirate stuff is people screaming MS will no longer support 98-2k as of next year. Thus scaring people into getting XP by any means. I have seen things in forums that work...forever. Anyhow I downloaded and am using SP1 and it locked up on me once. Only once. So far. Yeppers I can access the update page easily. But I don't have or use the infamous FCKxxxx product key. I DO wonder....when SP1 is released will having the beta:
a)make it impossible to upgrade to the final SP1
b)make it faster to upgrade to the final SP1

If I have to clean install one mo' time I'm buying a MAC.

--Rich

Can't you just do a restore prior to your install of the SP 1 Beta? Then install the final release SP 1 if it doesn't upgrade from the Beta.

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
Well seeing as the betas where intended for bug-reporting and evaluation usage, why would they want people to use it ?

Duuuuh, for bug hunting and reporting... ya think??? :p

Here's something to add. After installing the SP1 Beta, I noticed that I now get warnings when I download files in IE. Here's a screenshot.

i wounder where microsoft got that idea to desplay that warning on Ie , might it be mozilla, hummm i think it might be, does this prove once and for all that microsofts "programmers" have to look to other companys for ideas,
personaly i cant wate for Lindows its gonner rock.

Originally posted by gonaads

Can't you just do a restore prior to your install of the SP 1 Beta? Then install the final release SP 1 if it doesn't upgrade from the Beta.

Its under ad/remove programs.

Originally posted by surge

personaly i cant wate for Lindows its gonner rock.

Lindows runs users as root (just like 9x/Me) apparently.

If it's emulation is as good as it likes to claim, viruses/trojans/worms will run just as well as before, and even better than in properly configured NT/2k/XP systems (i.e. dont login as administrator).

Edit:Or use fat32 come to think of it.

Originally posted by surge
i wounder where microsoft got that idea to desplay that warning on Ie , might it be mozilla, hummm i think it might be, does this prove once and for all that microsofts "programmers" have to look to other companys for ideas

Yes that extra sentence on the download dialogue has truly changed the way I browse the internet.

For some reason, the SP has screwed up my computer and does not work. Booting up after i installed it gave me the wonderful BSOD with some message about a fatal error. i was able to revert to my "last good configuration" and worked, but as a result of that, the SP was not installed. I tried reinstalling, and the same thing happened. any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back