Server suspending.. why?

shaunj66

H.T.I.D!
Hey guys,
I gotta problem with my server that's running Windows XP Pro. I leave it on 24/7, but since formatting it and re-installing XP, if I leave it on, after about 1-2 hours it goes into some sort of suspend mode. And it seems to disconnect from my LAN.
So when I try connect to it through Remote Desktop from my other PC, it won't work...

I have to hook up a monitor, plug in a mouse/keyboard, press a key or whatever and it comes out of suspend to the 'Locked Workstation' screen,.. then I have to re-connect it to the LAN.

I've disabled every suspend option in XP I can possibly think of, and it's still happening, and it's really really annoying!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Check your BIOS. It may have some automatic power options.

JJB

Originally posted by Bronx Bomber
you mean like a system standby?

Yeh exactly.

JJB6486, I've been through the BIOS. Power Management is disabled. Their is some Video OFF option set to DPMS or something, and another option called "PM control by APM", which I changed from Yes to No, just now.

oh ok, i was gonna say disable all the powermanagement things.

hhmm....

Originally posted by shaunj66
after about 1-2 hours it goes into some sort of suspend mode

YES, I was about to post on this issue!

It just started happening to me too, the largest system change I've applied since getting the problem were those latest M$ security updates. I tried modifying various BIOS features I suspected but its not improved.

What happens exactly is this: I walk away from my PC, after 5min my screen saver is scheduled to turn on, it does, and thats it all the power management settings have been turned to nothing so they should all stay on without shutting down, but after about 10-15min or so the entire system restarts (I assume) because when I come back its at my login screen! And all the users that were logged in have been disconnected.

I've had another issue, when the monitor swaps over to certain resolutions or refresh rates the entire system restarts, even though these resolutions and refresh rates are supported!! Usually this happens when a program switches to a lower setting than I have now, for example from 1024x768@72Htz swapped to 1024x768@60Htz.

I hope someone has some ideas because any large tasks cannot be completed as long as this problem exists.

In the Power Options > Power Schemes it was set to 'Home/Office Desk' and I changed it to 'Always On', but that wouldn't have affected it would it? Doesn't that just change the suspend times for the 2 options below (Monitor/HDD) which were already set to 'Never'?

Sorry about this double post... but whatever I've changed since, seems to have fixed it. It's been on about 24 hours now and hasn't suspended. :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back