server rack to work with Dell server

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
At work we have some Dell xSeries servers (3 xSeries 306's) and the mounting rails that came with them. We need a server rack, square with vertical rails in front and back. I've never looked at racks before so I'm not sure if they are all compatible with our servers. With only the 3 servers we just need something probably 36"-50" tall. No need for doors or anything fancy.

Reps to anyone who can provide some good links and information. :)

APC's NetShelter normally supports all major manufacturers.

Do I need to worry about the holes being the right size, or are they all universal?

I have never had a problem with holes being the wrong size. However, as I earlier mentioned their customer service is awesome. If you have specific questions about certain models, give them a ring.

There is a standard for racks. APC includes extra hardware for oddball servers. NetShelters support both HP and Dell.

there are many different types of rack rails systems most of them are either drilled/tapped at 8/32nds or 10/32nds

OR they have a square punched rails which require inserts to accomodate the 8/32 and 10/32 fastening screws..

there are tons of rack manufacturers... pick one and try and stay with them... we have both here and it becomes a pain to know which rack in which server room, is which type, so much so that we made an excel spreadsheet with that information... :rolleyes:

EDIT: also, try and stay consistent from one place to another with the type/size of the racks... even if they have the same rail system, you could end up with tons of 5, 6 and 7 foot racks... looks kinds goofy.... go with the tallest your spaces will allow it saves more room for working behind the racks :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back