server questions

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
I don't think I put this thread in the right place but here goes. I'm trying to learn how to run a server and am wondering where is the best place on the web to learn how to do this. IF anyone can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated...

What kind of server do you want to run? There are several different kinds: Web, FTP, mail, Telnet etc.

Assuming you want to run a web server, Apache would be your best bet. PHPDev is really easy to setup. It includes Apache 1.3.20, along with PHP4.06, ActivePerl5.6, and MySQL3.23
http://www.firepages.com.au/dev4.htm

I'm moving this to the Networking section. I think you should be able to get more responses there :)

are you doing this on a separate machine, which OS are you wanting to use

I'm going to be running one for my bro's friend and he's going to pay me to run it. I'm up for any suggestions really...I know my way around a computer but never really tried setting up a server or my options setting one up

ok I double checked the email that he sent me and this is what he wants me to find out
start up costs for server and any other things needed.

Revenue producing possibilities such as affiliate programs, web space rental, site maintenance, ect.

Also your technical capabilities

If you want a stable webhosting machine then I would recommend FreeBSD 4.8 from http://www.freebsd.org

Then install Apache/MySQL/PHP/Mail/FTP
If you want to do hosting cPanel might be an idea.
You will also need a fast line for this, and probably control over your own DNS servers or something like that.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back