Server Problems

Jz1397-5

XP Bad Ass
Hey, are you guys having any server problems? Cause yesterday i could not access your site from any computer. Then when i could it would stop responding... was that just me and my area or did anyone else notice that?

Yeah. I am not sure what happened yet, as I haven't emailed UKS to find out exactly what happened...

It was not just XP-erience that was unavailable but the entire host of sites hosted by UKS. Fortunatly, as the site went up and down all of last night, the guys were constantly working on it and it all seems to be working again now.

Bit of a pain as I was half-way thru a moment of inspiration and fiddling with the site.

Sorry for the inconvenience, we were all going nuts ;)

I dropped some peanut butter on my lap, so everyone thought I must have been fujitzuking nuts

he's always been that way.

As of right now, the site still seems a tad slow. Probably related to UKS upgrading and fixing any problems they might have had this past weekend. Just bare with us.

The database might also have errors or something :p
I will msg waddy and tell him to quit his job and fix it :p

Ok the OFFICIAL story is:

Early hours of Sunday morning a huge Denial of Service (DoS) attack was launched on the server cluster this site is hosted on...

normally the servers would be able to handle it - but the size of the attack had made them weak... and unable to stop it...

small little quote from the email i got:
...blocks put in further upstream result in the collapse of
the routers to which they are applied.

they managed to stabilize it... then they got hit again....
another little quote for all you network tech heads ;)
last thing anyone wants to be doing on the early house of a Sunday morning is dealing with a denial of service attack big enough to totally knock out a couple of 7204-vxr routers! (personally i have no clue what a '7204-vxr' router is capable off... i will have to google it :))

then they stabilized again.. then got hit again... they then managed to locate the source of the attack - and took the measures needed...

then after that it went down again... i didn't fully understand this bit... but anyway...

Not wanting to point the finger - but C&W removed the fix during the evening, and then their 24hr support number is on answer phone. I finally managed to get hold of a person contact within C&W who re-applied the fix.

that a basic round up...

things like this are V. rear... and when they do come down like this... its pretty hard to stop it...

thanx again to the guys up at HQ - operating the servers (uksolutions) ... i'm sure they did the best they could to make sure the downtime was kept to a minimal :)

MdSalih

Wow! Thanx for the great explaination MdSalih (not that I fully understand it :rolleyes: ) At least we know what happen

BTW... Its a 2704-VXR, which is a Cisco 2700 series gigabit router. Its a quad-interface router with capability of routing Gigabit Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Ethernet, Token Ring, Serial and Multi-channel, OC3 POS, OC3 ATM, OC12 DPT, ISDN Primary Rate Interface (PRI), Basic Rate Interface (BRI), High-Speed Serial Interface (HSSI), and T3/E3, multichannel T1/E1/T3, and ATM. The Cisco 7200 series offers enterprise and service provider customers a cost-effective, single-platform solution with the high performance, density, availability, and scalability to be deployed across the network from enterprise/CPE to POP environments. By leveraging the multifunction capabilities of the Cisco 7200 series, customers can simplify their network architecture, significantly reducing costs and increasing revenue opportunities through value-added services.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/7200.htm

JJB6486

You mean you dont know what Gigabit Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Ethernet, Token Ring, Serial and Multi-channel, OC3 POS, OC3 ATM, OC12 DPT, ISDN Primary Rate Interface (PRI), Basic Rate Interface (BRI), High-Speed Serial Interface (HSSI), and T3/E3, multichannel T1/E1/T3, and ATM are?

JJB

no i know, i was just trying to be funny... did it work? (i need more social interaction, obviously)

I was anding at jj, cos I couldn't understand it either :p

MdSalih said i was hijacking his thread therefore i cannot discuss the Cisco 2704-VXR or its capabilities any further

Thank you for your interest in the Cisco 2700 series of routing products

JJB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back