Server options?

zapoqx

Striking Master
So I was thinking sometime in the future about gaining some sort of server that I could do the following with:
  • Have a Website
  • Host a Vent/Teamspeak server
  • still have options like cpanel, MySQL, mail, etc
  • (Optional) Host a game server.

I was wondering if this kind of thing is possible at all? I know you can get webhosting easily if it was just that. I know its possible to get a Ventrillo server or a Teamspeak server running by your own system or getting a server for larger hosting. I just want to know if its possible to get it all in one place or does it have to be on seperate servers each. The host game server is most likely a reach and probably need to find a separate hosting to do such things.

One thing about servers is that usually an ISP doesn't want you to run one on a residential connection, that is if it's publicly accessible. Usually it will violate the terms of service, so be careful.

@Admiral Can your ISP tell if your running some sort of server?

So I was thinking sometime in the future about gaining some sort of server that I could do the following with:
  • Have a Website
  • Host a Vent/Teamspeak server
  • still have options like cpanel, MySQL, mail, etc
  • (Optional) Host a game server.

I was wondering if this kind of thing is possible at all? I know you can get webhosting easily if it was just that. I know its possible to get a Ventrillo server or a Teamspeak server running by your own system or getting a server for larger hosting. I just want to know if its possible to get it all in one place or does it have to be on seperate servers each. The host game server is most likely a reach and probably need to find a separate hosting to do such things.

Most hosting companies won't let you run game servers on their dedicated server machines, so you will need to look for a host that specifically allows such use.

The rest is fairly simple, you can get a dedicated server like osnn.net from Dedicated Servers | Managed Dedicated Server Hosting and be on your way in no time.

However this can get costly quickly, you can also rent Vent/Teamspeak servers for a small monthly fee (the current one that my friends and I are on we paid $2 a month, then again we paid up for 4 years in advance, going to college and not having cash we thought it better to pay ahead of time). For just a website, there are plenty of good hosts out there. If it is low traffic, not a whole lot of storage space, check out http://nearlyfreespeech.net/ , or if you want more control and or a cloud based solution check out (mt) Media Temple - Web Hosting Built to Scale. . Finding a good web host can be a bit of a chore, just remember that you get what you pay for. So "Timmies host" for $2 a month with unlimited transfer is not going to be as great as $20 a month for a reasonable amount of transfer.

One thing about servers is that usually an ISP doesn't want you to run one on a residential connection, that is if it's publicly accessible. Usually it will violate the terms of service, so be careful.

This is indeed the case.

@Admiral Can your ISP tell if your running some sort of server?

Yes. Multiple ways, I've listed a couple:

• Track incoming traffic, generally when there are a lot of requests inbound some type of server is running
  • A simple scan looking for open ports, if a port is open it will generally give a version number/server type
  • Excess bandwidth outgoing (more shaky, but very likely that someone is running a server, yes bittorrent is considered a server)

ISP's generally also block certain ports used to host servers on, such as SMTP, HTTP, IMAP, and others, thereby making it more difficult to run a server from your home connection.

My ISP allows me to run a server, they don't care. They even have port 25 unblocked :)

Hmmm.... interesting info. Thanks all!

By the way, interesting thing to know about the ISP with a residential connection and a server.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back