Server NT4.0 Install problem. Help Please!

D

drdoug26

Hi all:

I’m trying to do a fresh install of NT4.0 server on an older PII machine with an ASUS P2B-DS mother board. (note: This is probably the 4th or 5th time I’ve reinstalled NT 4.0 Server on this machine so I know it works or used to work.)

I have to use the 3 set-up cds in order to install, it does not see the cdrom/cd. I follow the same procedure I have before: ( 1> run floopy #1 and hit F6 so it dose NOT try to detect any hardware devices. 2> run floppy #2 until the part comes up about it can not find any devices. 3> I choose ‘S’ and make it prompt me for a driver disc. 4> I insert the SCSI drivers and hit ‘enter’ to finish. 4> It asks for disk #3 so I insert it and it runs.

Here’s the problem, 5> It AGAIN asks for Disk #2??????????????????????? I insert it, it finishes and asks for disk #3. I insert it and it asks again for disk #2???????????? The cycle goes on and on. I’ve never had a problem like this before and I’m stumped!

I thought maybe the 3 floppy set up disks went bad over the years so I made new ones. The exact same thing happens. I thought maybe the problem was with the scsi drivers( AIC 789X AHA 294X U2 ) were bad so I down loaded new ones and still the same thing happens.

Pleeeeeeaassee some help!. This is our office server and I’m dead in the water without it.

Thanks in advance

Doug
:(

Have you tried booting to a 98/ME bootdisk and running setup from the cd?

My only other question is why are you reimaging you server so often?

My cdrom is SCSI so it is not seen, thats why i've had to use the floppies.

The reinstalls have been over a five year period or so. The speed of our office network seems to decrease over time so about ever year I do a clean NT4.0 install.

By Oct 02 our office application should be compatable with Server 2k finally.

doug

YOu should still be able to boot to a ME Boot disk that will load the SCSI drivers. You then change to the I386 directory on the NT Server disk and run winnt. Have done it and it works.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back