Server newbie questions....

Bane

OSNN Newbie
Hi, I'm completely new to Windows Server, and am trying to learn how to use it by setting up a small domain at home. I've set up the DC, DNS and AD, and slowly but surely working some of this out, but I have a couple quick questions (for now....)
Easy one first...is there a feature in Server 2003 that operates like XP's Fast User Switching, where anyone can log on from the Lock screen and use the computer while another person is also logged in, or can the computer only be used by one user (ie when they lock it, only they can unlock it)?
And the harder question...why is it when I log into the DC locally, and when I connect to it using remote desktop (using the same user/pass), these two logons are different?? I can log on remotely, start a program and then disconnect, then when I log on locally, the program isn't running. Then I log on again remotely and it's there. I'm sure this is something I haven't set up right, but what is it??
Eh hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help!

Fast User Switching is for WORKGROUP setups only and cannot be used a domain setting.

Server can have concurrent logons using MSTSC (Remote Desktop). Use "mstsc /console" to connect to active logon.

Ahh too easy, cheers madmatt!
Just to clarify, to connect remotely to a logon that I started locally I can use the /console switch right?.....is it possible the other way around too, to connect locally to a logon that was started remotely?
And while I'm here, do you know of any good sites with beginner tutes/FAQs etc that I can use to get started? I haven't found many good resources
Thanks

The console switch will logon right to the server instead of over TS. Since server editions allow concurrent connections.

In my opinion, nothing beats Microsoft's knowledgebase and MSDN.

Great, thanks both of you for the quick replies! I'll check out those sites soon...only prob I found with Microsoft was I could mainly only find "How-to" guides with no explanation....the How rather than the What or Why....but maybe I just wasnt looking hard enough
And while I'm on a roll and all, madmatt, sorry but I'm still not clear.....does this mean that you can have ONLY ONE local logon and ONE OR MORE remote connections per user, but the same user could also be logged on locally to more than one computer in the domain? (and then roaming profiles come in at this point to give the user access to their files regardless of the computer they're at...)

One local logon to a workstation or domain controller, but I believe the default value per user is for 2 connections remotely. This can, however be adjusted. The same user can login to each PC on the domain if they so choose to do so.

Roaming profiles could be used, or folder redirection, which is what I prefer because you have greater control over the specific folders that go with the user.

For Windows Server: You can be logged on locally and logon remotely at the same time. You can have as many concurent connections as you do CALs.

madmatt said:
For Windows Server: You can be logged on locally and logon remotely at the same time. You can have as many concurent connections as you do CALs.

Actually, last time I checked, unless you enable full terminal server (which requires a Terminal Server license server to be activated in 30 days) you can only have 2 concurrent remote desktop sessions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back