Server name does not appear under Workgroup name in Network Places

D

dipdog

I've been having a little bit of difficulty reestablishing a wireless network that used to work. Right now, I've been trying to fix one problem at a time, and I've been focusing on the server. My question is, I was wondering what it means when the server is able to ping it's own address as well as it's own computer name, but the computer name does not appear under My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>"workgroup name"

Appreciate any help you can offer!

disajoin it from the workgroup then re-join it. check workgroups names on any of the machines to make sure they are all the same.

Start with this. :)

By disjoin, do you mean reboot the computer and router? If so, I've done that a few times without any luck. Regarding the workgroup name, I've run the Network Wizard several times on the server, and checked the workgroup name each time. The clients actually seem to be working with themselves, but the server itself does not recognize it's own computer name under the workgroup in My Network Places (in Windows Explorer on the server).

IF its a XP machine go to Start Control panel/ System/ Computer name (tab)/Change

add a random workgroup kjvbkdvj would work. then it will force you to reboot. then do same thing again but with the current workgroup of your machines. reboot again and see if that helps.

Thanx for your reply. Gave that a shot, but unfortunately no luck. What I ended up with was two workgroup names with nothing listed under either. When I switched it back, there was still nothing listed.

Can you ping the IP of the other machine from the current machine?

Each computer is able to ping the other's address, but not the other's computer name (I get the "host not found" reply).

My setup is as follows:

Three computers; right now I'm just messing with two of them. Both are XP Home SP2. Subnets match on all of them. Currently 192.168.0.1 for the Local Area Connection on Computer #1 (a tower that is attached to a wireless router via cable to the internal Ethernet card). Automatic for the WAN Network Driver, the Net Adapter, and the fax modem (no DSL, I'm using dial-up) on Computer #1. 192.168.0.3 for Computer #2 (I've tried this address on both the Local Area Connection when cabled to the wireless router, and on a PCMCIA wireless card). 192.168.0.5 for the router (I reset the router's default of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.5 so that the subnet would be zero since the Windows Wizards seem to like to use this. I also disabled DCHP on the router).

Subnet Mask for all is either 255.255.255.0, or chosen automatically. Gateway for all is either 192.168.0.5, or chosen automatically. DNS is left blank where I chose a static address, or chosen automatically.

Both computers are able to ping the other computers address, but not the other computers name. They both are able to ping their own computer names. And they are both able to ping the router.

Computer #2 displays it's own computer name under My Network Places, but not Computer #1s name. Computer #1 does not display it's own or the other's computer name under My Network Places.

I've checked the workgroup name for both computers to make sure that they match. I only have Windows Firewall installed and it is turned off for all Network Connections.

I guess the main thing that is confusing me is why I can see the computer name for computer #2 listed in My Network Places on computer #2, but I can't see the computer name for computer #1 listed in My Network Places on computer #1. For some reason, this just seems to be significant. I'm also a little confused why NetBIOS over TCP/IP keeps coming up as disabled on Local Area Network for computer #1, even though I have it checked to be enabled in the properties.

IPConfig/all on Computer #1 is as follows. Appreciate any help you can offer!

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : emachine
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-20-0B-2B-37
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

PPP adapter {3F7CC122-9407-4EF6-A3D3-5601156B8ACC}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.150.142.84
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.150.142.84
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.188.146.145

I have a feeling thats why it's not working. Try to enable it.
  • Control Panel
  • Network Connections
  • Properties on the Intel Card
  • Make sure file and printer sharing is checked
  • TCP/IP Properties
  • Advanced Button
  • WINS Tab
  • Select Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
Also make sure file and printer sharing is allowed thru the firewall (just in case).

Attachments

• netbiosenabled.JPG
    netbiosenabled.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 391
  • firewallfileprinter.JPG
    firewallfileprinter.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 550
I have a feeling thats why it's not working. Try to enable it.
  • Control Panel
  • Network Connections
  • Properties on the Intel Card
  • Make sure file and printer sharing is checked
  • TCP/IP Properties
  • Advanced Button
  • WINS Tab
  • Select Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
Also make sure file and printer sharing is allowed thru the firewall (just in case).

Damn i missed that i bet its the issue too. Yet what would of diasabled it though.

Thanx for the replies. That's one of the strange things that's been baffling me. I have the "enable NetBIOS" box checked on the WINS tabs, just like in the picture that Admiral Michael posted. It is also enabled for the fax modem, the Net Adapter, and the WAN network driver.

File and print share exception is also checked, as in the jpeg.

I'm confused why Ipconfig/all displays NetBIOS as disabled, when it is enabled in the TCP/IP properties?

Appreciate your help.

- Scott

NetBios doesnt display as enabled on ether of my machines in ipconfig/all. So im not sure why its doing it either.

NetBios doesnt display as enabled on ether of my machines in ipconfig/all. So im not sure why its doing it either.
It will only show at all if it is disabled, that is probably why it isn't showing for you ;)

Setting really shouldn't be touched though unless there is a problem related to it, as it should inherit through the DHCP server

KCNYCHIEF -

I'm not sure if VenomXt is saying the same thing (that NetBIOS over TCP/IP shows up as disabled, or just doesn't show up at all), but in my situation it specifically shows up as disabled, although it is enabled. One of the computers in my workgroup which is connecting correctly does not, as you mentioned, show any status for NetBIOS over TCP/IP and it is enabled. My confusion is why ipconfig/all specifically shows the status of NetBIOS over TCP/IP as disabled, when it is checked in properties as enabled?

Again, appreciate any help you can offer!

-Scott

Id tend to trust a ipconfig/all soemthing you may want to try is blow away the TCP/IP and then reinstall it. Kinda risky but what do you have to lose now its allready broken.

Ah ok I may have misunderstood a bit.

If that is the case, as Venom said, I would re-install TCP/IP.

Hmm, alright. I notice that uninstall is greyed out in the properties menu, so I assume I should just reinstall over top of the old installation.

When you say this is risky, have you heard of any bad experience doing this?

I got to be honest your starting to have a issue i had a few weeks ago with my server. And a reinstall was the only thing that fixed it. Not exactly but still similar. tell us what happens with the tcp/ip reinstall.

Wow. Well,that was about like pulling teeth. I ran through a grocery list of things to do on the way to reinstalling TCP/IP, including changing out the cables, scanning for adware, fixing default gateways and DNS addresses, repairing adapters, and reinstalling Winsock. So it's hard to say what helped and what didn't, but in the end run the main problem appears to have indeed been the TCP/IP. Thing is that everytime I'd reinstall it, everything would work fine (pinging both computers by name, everything listed in Net View, names appearing under the workgroup, and NetBIOS over TCP/IP status disappeared in Ipconfig/all). But everytime I'd reboot, Windows would say that it was not able to start normally, giving me the option to go into safe mode. I'd refix the LAN address and reenable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Then when I'd reboot, Windows would restart, but NetBIOS over TCP/IP would again appear as disabled in Ipconfig/all, while enabled in properties. So apparently, I'm assuming that something in my startup menu was messing with it. I ran msconfig, disabled everything in startup, reinstalled TCP/IP and rebooted and everything seems to be running fine. My only problem now, is that the wireless laptop (computer #2) gives me a "system error 5" when I try to do a net view of the tower (computer #1, attached to the wireless router). Computer #1, however, is able to do a net view of both itself and computer #2. So, I'm going to look that up. Hopefully it's an easy fix! Have not tried connecting to the internet yet, either, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Anyhow, thank you very much for your help!! So relieved that reinstalling TCP/IP made such a big difference.

- Scott

System Error 6118

Well, I was able to fix "System Error 5" with the following advice from a really great site at http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Go to the computer which you cannot access, start a registry editor and change the following registry value.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SYSTEM
\CurrentControlSet
\Control
\Lsa
Value name: RestrictAnonymous
Value type: DWORD

If the value is 1 or even 2, change it to 0, reboot and retest. If the problem is solved, leave the value at zero. If not, you can change it back if you like.

Things were working great for a day or two, then I began to receive "System Error 6118", while using the net view command. All firewalls are turned off. Just wondering if you have any advice for this error.

Thanx!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back