Server Case

N

Not Bman

So I am going to start to build my server. Currently I don't know if it's going to be a media server or just holding the files. Either way I don't think a media server needs much.

I was thinking about finding one of those types of cases that dell has, the skinny lay down type of cases. Though I am not sure because it needs to hold enough hard drives. What would be the best server case, where holds tons of hard drives but does not take up too much room. And the amount of hard drives depend on the case and motherboard correct?

Actually, lets make this my server thread. I don't want to spent too much money on the server (excluding disk space). Something like $200 or so. I assume I don't need much more then that to hold files correct.

Where would you start. I have had other threads related, talking about how to hold the data, raid or not, and a few other things. This will be more detailed.

Some of those Mini Tower cases are quite nice. Yea currently I plan on starting with 4 1TB drives, so the case you have would be fine. But I plan on getting more eventually, I think. It's a hard choice.

And in terms of a mini atx motherboard....whats a good cheap choice?

I would rather have fewer larger drives than more smaller drives (2x2TB rather then 4x1TB). Less power consumption as well.

Also the board I have I got for free from a friend. Just had to supply a CPU which I took from my desktop and then upgraded my desktop (AMD Athlon X2 4600 to a X2 5400).

Yes, I think like you as well, more large drives. Though those 2TB drives are very expensive right now, around 350CAD.

Ya they are pricey. I just have a 1tb and 2x500x in my server. The fourth is a 60gb for windows.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back