Server 2008 x64 - Print Server, Issues

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

Here at my customer we are tinkering around with a few things. My boss would like me to try and implement our Server 2008 x64 machine as a print server. He would like me to remove the printers from the 3 other servers (All are 2003 Standard) so that we have one centralized source for printers. I've been messing around with it for a little while, and it seems very nice.

I'm having an issue with one of the printers, which I expect to have on a few others. I am trying to use 1 printer / user as a test, which is an HP Color Laserjet 1600. About 95% of all of the printers we are using are HP. He also would like to make sure we use the HP Universal Print Driver, which makes sense. I am attempting to set all of this up on the Server 2008. I've installed the printer on the server using the TCP/IP address, and listed it on the directory. On the user's computer, which is Windows XP x32 w/ SP2, I attempt to add the printer.

I then get an error message from the Universal driver in Windows Xp stating that it is the wrong driver for the printer, and wants me to install a different driver. I've also tried downloading the x64 1600 Driver and installing that onto the server, however I get the following error message:
s2008printdriver.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I be installing a Windows x32 driver, since that's what will be installed on the clients as well? Or would I be installing an x64 driver, since that's what the server is?

Thanks!

you cant use 64bit drivers on 32bit pcs and vies versa, as i understand it, get the 32bit version of the driver or let xp install the one it wants

Are x64 systems able to look at x32 drivers and be able to use them? Also, how would I be able to make Windows find the appropriate driver, specifically if the computer itself does not have the driver on it?

Are x64 systems able to look at x32 drivers and be able to use them?

short answer - no i dont think so

Also, how would I be able to make Windows find the appropriate driver, specifically if the computer itself does not have the driver on it?

the hp site will have drivers for the printer you have - also there is a universal hp printer driver for 32bit and 64 bit systems

look here

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...skId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=503548

cant see a driver for 2008 server but can see a driver for all other versions of windows

Yeah we're trying to get that to work. So far everything seems to be ok, but we're having issues because they did not issue an x64 driver for the Color Laserjet 1600 printer, nor is it covered in the UDP... strange. Looks like we will have to add maybe 3 printers to our exception list for the UDP, but we want to setup everything using UDP off of this server.

I hope that everything will remain configurable and how we set it up... we'll see.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back