sendmail - should be simple, but I don't get it.

OK, here's what has been done:
I contacted X-Istence because I had difficulties setting up qmail, well it was setup, but it didn't work. I spoke with him on MSNM and it turned out that somehow qmail sent out the mail with as from:anonymous@server1.thuisnet.lan, the Wanadoo mailserver freaked out and said server1.thuisnet.lan is not a valid domain. Logical, since that is from my internal network. In the end I let qmail think that I was part of the msn.com domain, where e-mails would be sent out as anonymous@msn.com. Since MSN.com is a valid domain, it worked. But now the reply-to address was wrong, so I added a header in the PHP mail() function to send out mails from:glaanieboy@msn.com. I am still not sure what happened, I think it all has to do with the fact that Wanadoo (ISP) has blocked port 25, so I can't make my own smtpserver, instead I have to route it to smtp.wanadoo.nl. I'll play with this when I come back from school, see if I can find something.

Good, I killed qmail, it just didn't work the way I wanted it to work. Instead I installed smtpmail from the /ports/mail collection. According to the manual, it should be able to send out an e-mail to an external smtp, this is just what I need. But how? I have looked for answers around the net, but I couldn't find a manual with examples on how to use it. Instead I just did a little tryial and error myself, but it's more error than actual useable results. I tried this command, which, as I understand it, should work:
Code:
smtpmail -t [email]receiver@domain.ext[/email] -h smtp.domain.ext -f [email]sender@domain.ext[/email] teh body of the mail.
This should send out a message to receiver@domain.ext, via smtp.wanadoo.nl and the sender would be sender@domain.ext. The body it receives should contain the text 'teh ... mail'. But all it does is just showing the command-line options, like I did it wrong. But no errors are given and no mail is sent (I have received none so far and I did it 1 hour ago).
In the end I want to implement this in my php.ini file, but again, I can't find anything on the web that tells me how to, can someone point me to the right direction?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back