Sending messages to an IP address

Steely

OSNN Addict
Just a newbie question! I'm pretty new to IP addresses and networking. I'm using a Cable Broadband connection with a static IP address using Win98 (upgrading to XP Pro next week!)

Is it possible to send a message to someones IP address to someone using a dial-up connection using Windows 2000 using a network messaging utility? If so, what utility could I use to do this?

Thanks

Dan

You could try:
net send <computer> <message>
where <computer> is the computer to send to. I know this works on a LAN using the name of the computer but I haven't tried using it across the Internet using an IP.

It will work across the net using an IP if they have the windows messenger service on. (thats messenger service, not msn messenger.)

No, its only nuking if you flood someone with mass amounts of messages that cause the computer to overload with data and disconnect. Although also having to have NetBIOS unfirewalled (on the recieving end only), leaves network shares unsecured, so people would be able to access your PC's shared folders by typing \\<IP Address>.

JJB6486

in 'run' or DOS type:

net send "username/computername/maybe IP?" "message"

take out quotes

example:
net send uslibr04 stop playing games in the library

or

net send smith.j stop playing games in the library

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back