Sempron 2400 heat controller question/rambling

Haywire Lycanthrope

OSNN Junior Addict
Right, so the time has come for me to cross over into the dark and gloomy realm of self sufficiency that is home building computers. It just so happens that it's also time for me to retire my Via C3 733 mhz processor, passing it on to someone else for a school computer(I will miss it though, that thing was absolutely bullet proof no matter what I did to it. And believe you me, I certainly tested limits).

Now I've purchased an AMD Sempron 2400+ and Gigabyte 7vm400amf motherboard. It ain't the best, but it's mine, mine, MINE.

Now, it's easy mounting this stuff in a computer case. I've done it many a time in the last year or so. Problem is, I've never actually mounted a processor to a motherboard before. I'm definitely not worried about this as I'm sure things will be easy if I make sure to pay attention to the instructions. The worry I carry now is about the heatsink/fan that came with the processor.

Do I need to use thermal paste on this when mating it to my cpu on the board? I only ask because my research has left me a little confused as to whether or not I can just use the little strip I see on the bottom of the hs as my thermal control. I've seen some sites say that yes, this is what it's there for, and some sites say that it's better to just totally remove it and use some Arctic Silver or something.

This is the connundrum. As far as the usage of the machine goes, it isn't going to be an over clocking experiement, nor am I big gamer so Half Life 2 etc probably won't be much business on this. It's really just an upgrade for surfing, movies, music, and light gaming.

That's my story, and I'm surely sticking to it. If someone here could help fill in details, that would be right peachy.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you must have paste or pad between CPU and heatsink.

Arctic Silver site has really good instructions complete with pictures.

I would suggest Arcitc Silver 5. If you cannot get that. Buy the Antec Silver thermal paste. Amazingly... It's the EXACT same stuff... If you know what I mean.

I knew that you need something there, and there is actually a pad on the hs where it would mate up with the cpu. This must be a stock thermal interface?

Thank you for the link.

Yep, it a phase change compound. AC5 is too but has better heat transfer ability.

Softens when it heats so the interface is optimal after a few runs. Squeezes out what it doesn't need.

So the jist of it is that I don't necessarily need to mess around with gooping up my proc if it's going to be getting relatively cpu light usage?

To break it in, I'd basically just use it as normal?

Haywire Lycanthrope said:
So the jist of it is that I don't necessarily need to mess around with gooping up my proc if it's going to be getting relatively cpu light usage?

To break it in, I'd basically just use it as normal?
Ya you can just use the pad if you like but you can not reuse it if you take heatsink off for whatever reason.
It will melt as soon as processor heats up filling whatever gaps need to be filled.

Ya you can just use the pad if you like but you can not reuse it if you take heatsink off for whatever reason.
It will melt as soon as processor heats up filling whatever gaps need to be filled.

Cool, I actually understood what you're talking about there hehe. Great thread.

I'm going to leave it as is right now. I'll practice putting arctic silver on my friend's proc for the system I'm building her.

+ reputation for all.

the pad will work, but not recomended. Especially if your gonna OC.

AS5 is simply the best.....:p

also if ur worried about heat, IMO its well worth it to go for a good heatsink +fan combo.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back