Selecting an action for different CD types

• Thread starter Blak n Wite
  • Start date
B

Blak n Wite

Before you ask, my OS is a Windows XP Home SP1.

For some reason, when I select an action for different CD types (when a CD is inserted and the popup comes up with the options, or when I manually go to the CD drive and set it that way), then the selection never stays! :huh: This is getting extremely irritating, especially since the popup comes up every time I insert a CD. :mad:

P.S.
I AM using an administrator account, and this is a home system. :p

If you can help me, then please reply. :happy:

Thanks in advance! :D

[Also, could someone help me locate where this information is located (in the registry)? :)]

No idea at the moment why the settings won't stay. But I can tell you where the information is stored in the registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers

Open windows explorer. Right click on the optical device in question (CD/DVD/CD-R) and choose 'Properties'. From within this window, click on the 'Autoplay' tab. I provided a screenshot to simplify what I am speaking about. Select each action available from the drop down list and choose 'Take no action'

I am looking into the registry part, and will get back with you shortly.

Hope this helps!

PS-This is a home system that is not on a domain controller?

Originally posted by yoyo
No idea at the moment why the settings won't stay. But I can tell you where the information is stored in the registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers

It looks like yoyo answered the other part of the question that I did not know while I was typing everything. Thanks yoyo! :)

Jmtyra: For the going into Windows Explorer part, I already stated that this did not help with my issue. Thank you for replying, anyways :huh:

EDIT: Yes, this is a home system.

Originally posted by Blak n Wite
Jmtyra: For the going into Windows Explorer part, I already stated that this did not help with my issue. Thank you for replying, anyways :huh:

EDIT: Yes, this is a home system.

:(
My apologies--I assumed you were referring to the pop-up box that appears whenever you insert a CD. Same dialog box essentially, but for troubleshooting purposes I posted it.

Good luck on fixing your problem!

Ok, here is another stab. Found this off a web site, and tried it on my box however I have xp pro so I do not know if this will work with xp home. fair warning...

8. To Disable CD autoplay, completely, in Windows XP:

Click Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC

Go to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System

Locate the entry for Turn autoplay off and modify it as you require

Hope this helps! :)

Originally posted by Jmtyra
Ok, here is another stab. Found this off a web site, and tried it on my box however I have xp pro so I do not know if this will work with xp home. fair warning...

Hope this helps! :)

GPEDIT.MSC doesn't seem to exist on my computer :huh:

I, also have this problem, but it is only occuring on my zip drive with the zip disk that my email program runs off of.

It might be helpful to clarify more. Are you wanting to disable CD autoplay all together? If you do so, when inserting (for example) Counterstike, it will not bring up the dialog for you to install from. You will have to manually locate the setup.exe file.

My understanding, from your initial post, is that explorer is not remembering the settings that you tell it too. For example, play media player when an audio cd is inserted.

If you are manually applying your settings via explorer, you will have to apply the setting after each selection.
Example: Audio CD - you select Media Player......HIT APPLY then move to the next. Picture CD - (whatever program).....HIT APPLY and so on

Hope this makes sense, as at the moment I am currently under the influence of vicoden...damn wisdom teeth.

Originally posted by Ziptrx
I, also have this problem, but it is only occuring on my zip drive with the zip disk that my email program runs off of.

It might be helpful to clarify more. Are you wanting to disable CD autoplay all together? If you do so, when inserting (for example) Counterstike, it will not bring up the dialog for you to install from. You will have to manually locate the setup.exe file.

My understanding, from your initial post, is that explorer is not remembering the settings that you tell it too. For example, play media player when an audio cd is inserted.

If you are manually applying your settings via explorer, you will have to apply the setting after each selection.
Example: Audio CD - you select Media Player......HIT APPLY then move to the next. Picture CD - (whatever program).....HIT APPLY and so on

Hope this makes sense, as at the moment I am currently under the influence of vicoden...damn wisdom teeth.

Yep, that's the problem I'm having. Explorer doesn't remember my settings, and I've already tried what you suggested (which doesn't work).

Any other ideas? :huh:

Nutty suggestion, but in the services (admin tools) is shell hardware detection set to auto? I'll research more in the morning and when I'm sober. lol

Originally posted by Ziptrx
Nutty suggestion, but in the services (admin tools) is shell hardware detection set to auto? I'll research more in the morning and when I'm sober. lol

Yep, shell hardware detection is set to auto.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back