Security Settings

austinsandford

OSNN Newbie
Please can someone help me, I am the only user of my lap top and I am therfore the administrator, but when i try to access cetain files like user settings I am being told I am not authorised to acces them,when i look in the security settings it shows me as an adminstrator how do i change these settings to allow me to acccess where i want, please tell me in simple words, as I must be thick as this area totally looses me.

Thankyou

user settings is the main one plus dont like the fact of being unable to view files as adminstrator it should give fulll access

that tells me nothing, how are you trying to change user settings, control panel, group policy? what os you using - if its vista you have to take ownership of folder/file

carpo: given that this is posted in the Vista section, I'm guessing Vista :) But I agree, we should get clarification on what OS is being talked about here..

so austin, what OS are you running?

Assuming you are running under Vista, if you are trying to access files under the old "Documents and Settings" folders, you will not be able to since all that changed under Vista and user profile information and user files are all moved under the "users" folder.

The Documents and Settings folders are retained for compatibility purposes but are not "real" folders in the traditional sense and thus are inaccessible in Vista.

i just clicked on the link and it took me striaght to the post i didnt check above for where it was but i did say that you would have to take ownership if it was vista so i knew unconsiously (i know it aint spelt right i cant spell ;) )

Assuming you are running under Vista, if you are trying to access files under the old "Documents and Settings" folders, you will not be able to since all that changed under Vista and user profile information and user files are all moved under the "users" folder.

if you take ownership of the documents folder (i dont run vista so doing this from mem) it should take control of all folders files and links and it should be fine after that, all i did was right click on c:\users (or what ever it is) right click select take ownership - select your name

Last edited:
Yes the OS is vista home premium,when I go into Desktop\my name\local settings or print hood, both of these files have a blue arrow on them. When i try to open these two files I get the following message you don't currently have permission to access this file, click continue to get access to this folder, so i click this folder then i am told you have been denied permission to access this file to gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab. when i do this i see that i have full access nd then get lost does this help ???

as I mentioned, it looks like you are trying to go into the depreciated documents and settings sections, which as I mentioned, are not really folders. As memory serves me correct, these folders are actually junction points and as such, should not be used in Vista.

Yea, this is quite possibly the most annoying thing that MS has done to date. I have worked with Ultimate and it doesn't have this problem. Someone just dropped off a laptop with Home Premium on it and I can't remove simple things like orphaned folders in the start menu since you can't access Documents and Settings. What a complete and utter piece of sheet. Taking ownership of the entire folder defeats the supposed security, and it didn't work anyway. Maybe if I had more than 2 minutes of patience for this steaming pile I would be in better shape.

Sorry but what are depreciated documents, settings sections and junction points and as fitz states should not be used in Vista, so what are they and what do they do and whycant i find out about them ??? or isthis big brother again ??

They are there for backwards compatibility from what I've read. They link to the \Users\*username*\location but are different then just a normal symlink I guess.

Thanks for that, its down to Dell not giving a full copy of Vista and having to upgrade from media i take it. Thanks again

Thanks for that, its down to Dell not giving a full copy of Vista and having to upgrade from media i take it. Thanks again

?? no.. as mentioned, this is by design.. it's how Vista is designed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back