Security blocks us out again...

mlakrid

OSNN BASSMASTER
Political Access
Hey guys...

My company just installed a new firewall which has a host of sites which I goto, none of which are listed as "illegal" by the company, but which they dont want people going to because you waste valuable time going to during working hours...

Without building my own remote acess Proxy server at home what other alternatives do I have?

Most of the bigger sites have already been blacklisted by this software...

For the record... NOT trying to goto BANNED sites... just places which they deem as less than work related...

Mainly gaming info sites... just so you know... :laugh:

Ideas?

Maybe a list of not well known smaller proxy sites?

PM Me if you do not want to post them!

Mike A!

only thing i can think of is like you have said, a proxy, but if they have a half tidy admin he may spot it in the logs, also you should be careful as some companies use this as an excuse to fire people under the "they were abusing the network" excuse, i have seen this happen with people who sent more emails than they should have :p

only thing i can think of is like you have said, a proxy, but if they have a half tidy admin he may spot it in the logs, also you should be careful as some companies use this as an excuse to fire people under the "they were abusing the network" excuse, i have seen this happen with people who sent more emails than they should have :p

Carpo,

If the proxy is setup properly, then the admin will only see the site you are going to, not WHAT is being done...

Its the same as when you goto your bank... you are at an https://

They cant see anything beyond that... its encrypted.

However, I am now thinking building my own is the way to go anyway.

grrr...

Mike A!

if it's your personal computer or even a company box that you can install personal programs, hook up with one of the pcs providers that give you internet, mine will bluetooth pretty quick so you don't need wires to look suspicous

I don''t know what provider you have but if you can wire to your phone you can get about 2500 kps with some providers, sprint for instance

Carpo,

If the proxy is setup properly, then the admin will only see the site you are going to, not WHAT is being done...

Its the same as when you goto your bank... you are at an https://

They cant see anything beyond that... its encrypted.

However, I am now thinking building my own is the way to go anyway.

grrr...

Mike A!

but what if he spots the same https all the time :p -as i say just be careful as they can use the excuse of you trying to get around the filters as a reason to fire you if they want :) other than that do as we all suggested and run a proxy and that way you can look at all the fishing sites you like :D

Great I dea Perris, but were in a secure area, and cells/no wireless or bluetooths are allowed and our connection is a cable connection through brighthouse; however, they have full autonomy when it comes to locking down the network, and my admin privileges are audited, so that is a no go also...

Everything points back to making my own proxy at home...

Mike A!

but what if he spots the same https all the time :p -as i say just be careful as they can use the excuse of you trying to get around the filters as a reason to fire you if they want :) other than that do as we all suggested and run a proxy and that way you can look at all the fishing sites you like :D

They have been known to look at histories, but mainly at people who are dumb enough to goto BANNED sites I.E. "Heny PR0N"

Oh well... looks like I will have to setup the proxy at home...

Mike A!

they might think weigh my fish, might have other meanings ;)

Should be mentioned that the action you are talking about can be considered malicious and grounds for terminiation, since you are circumventing corporate security policy.

Talk about it all you want, but proceed at your own risk.

Should be mentioned that the action you are talking about can be considered malicious and grounds for terminiation, since you are circumventing corporate security policy.

Talk about it all you want, but proceed at your own risk.

KC,

I have a background in networks and security...

If my company tried to fire me based on the fact that I logged into a home network via HTTPS and then tried to fire me...

I would have a field day, they have no way of proving I am circumventing policy... without getting access to my house...

Kind of straight forward if you ask me...

Also, until they update the user agreement, they could NOT use that as grounds for dismissal anyway, because no where does it say you are not allowed to access other private networks.

Secure is secure... unless they wanted a disgruntled employee I think they would be more tactful...

Mike A!

I misunderstood - don't you have to use their proxy, which they have installed, to prevent you from accessing certain websites? In theory, you are going around that layer of protection to access sites they may not want you to access.

Correct? If it isn't in your guidelines that's fine and your lucky, just throwing my .02 out there.

personally it seems to be more bother and possible issues than its worth.... i mean dont you have work to do? :)

I misunderstood - don't you have to use their proxy, which they have installed, to prevent you from accessing certain websites? In theory, you are going around that layer of protection to access sites they may not want you to access.

Correct? If it isn't in your guidelines that's fine and your lucky, just throwing my .02 out there.

No they have some sort of security software installed which has a mass black list of sites to include all the major proxy server web addresses available...

You are right however, doing so would be circumventing the local admin policies, and Im sure they will changes the user agreement to make any "non-approved" access as grounds for termination like everywhere else I have worked at...

@ Lancer, Yes I do have work to do, BUT when I am at lunch, I.E> eating a sandwhich and chips, I like to look at my roster on FFBall and make changes for the week...

Cant do that now... :(

Mike A!

get a laptop and search for unsecured networks ;)

I would have to do that from the car, because we are not allowed personal comps, laptops, PDA's, Cell phones, and any other personal devices which can store, transmit or recieve information, with the exception of a standard radio with no means of recording...

:dead:

Mike A!

No they have some sort of security software installed which has a mass black list of sites to include all the major proxy server web addresses available...

You are right however, doing so would be circumventing the local admin policies, and Im sure they will changes the user agreement to make any "non-approved" access as grounds for termination like everywhere else I have worked at...

@ Lancer, Yes I do have work to do, BUT when I am at lunch, I.E> eating a sandwhich and chips, I like to look at my roster on FFBall and make changes for the week...

Cant do that now... :(

Mike A!
Ah OK, so they are trying to do such things as put a hosts file on your machine that you can't manipulate - which you are trying to find a proxy server they don't know of.

Yeah, unless you can find one, you will probably have to do your own. For the record, with your record (haha), you are better off not managing your FF team ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back