Security at login screen

B

bthrel

Hello everyone;

Been a lurker for quite some time now and thanks to all of you have learned quite a bit as well as solved several XP problems… Thanks! Now to my question… When (using XP Pro and connected to the internet via cable or DSL) you logout of your account and leave the system at the welcome/login screen is it susceptible to hackers or have all the services and tcpip/network protocols been suspended?

Thanks again

Brian

Yep.. using NIS (Norton Internet Security). Not sure, but it appears to stop when you logoff...

Brian

Have a look at the log file from Norton. If it is anything like mine you'll see if there have been attemps to get in when you are logged off. I'm sure there would be which would mean it is working.

Norton I believe does have the ability to block attacks while not logged in since some of its services start before login, similar to zone alarm.

Another thing though is if this is the first time logging on I know on my system atleast that until I login as a user for the first time after a reboot my computer does not contact the DHCP server of my provider. Therefore I have no IP address to attempt a connection. However if you have already been on the net and then logged out to the user screen I'm not sure if the tcp/ip stack clears and renews the DHCP timers. It would be easily testable by looking at the time of renew and such right after logging in, but I can't do it now as I don't wanna destroy my record uptime :)

Qumahlin and Hipster Doofus.. you guys nailed it. Actually after I posted the question I checked the NIS log for another reason and stumbled accross the answer Hipster Doofus offered up.

Thanks

Brian

what would work is instead of actually logging off, just use the switch user feature and leave one account running in the background with norton running.

All programs are still running in the background, so norton should as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back