Securing Mac OSX

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Securing Mac OS X
by Stephen de Vries - Principal Consultant in Corsaire’s Security Assessment team - Monday, 19 July 2004.

Mac OS X (10.3) provides many built in security features that, when fully utilised, can greatly reduce the risk of a security incident. OS X is one of the most secure default installations when compared to other operating systems. The install follows the accepted best practice of disabling all network services unless explicitly enabled. The default security settings should suit the needs of most users in a workstation setting.

This guide is aimed at users in environments requiring stronger security controls in an operating system, making full use of the protection features offered in OS X. It would also be of use to system administrators wishing to enforce an organisation wide desktop security policy for Mac OS X

Article: http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=713
PDF Download: http://www.net-security.org/dl/articles/Securing_Mac_OS_X.pdf

I'd like to add this as an excellent resource as well.

Spotlight on Mac Security

Are You Worrying Too Much about Security—Or Not Enough?

Most Mac users gaze on smugly as reports of each new Windows security crisis break. And they have good reason: At press time, research from Sophos (a maker of antivirus software) showed that 68 viruses have affected the Mac while 97,467 have affected Windows. Of those 68, most are a decade old or older and don’t directly affect OS X.

But although it may seem that there’s no reason to worry about security on your Mac, you shouldn’t think you’re completely safe. Apple’s regular Security Update releases prove that there’s cause for concern, and common sense suggests that you’re most vulnerable when you let your guard down.

So how can you tell the difference between fearmongering and true dangers? We examined nine common beliefs about Mac security—and show you what you really need to worry about.

FULL ARTICLE

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back