Search For Files or Folders stopped Working

L

LoctOut

Now I only get a message..........

A files that is required to run search companion can not be found. You may need to run setup.

NE one esle had this problem?

Thanks
LoctOut

Yes. and it's still not working. Whenever I run it, it insists on going online and downloading the file "bar.xsl" which resides in the search assistants stylesheet folder, even tho' the damn thing is still there. Could it be an unregistered file in the registry perhaps?

Just done a search through my registry, theres no reference to that file !!

I too have been having this problem for a while but have just managed to get the search working again. I use zone alarm and until i gave win explorer access to the web the search facility gave the same error. Only an idea but i would check that any firewall programs that you have are turned off and have another go (unless they are blocking the port in the reg in which case uninstall and have a go, i have had many probs with a firewall doing this to me although not zone alarm :) ) hope this is of some use

geez I tried it......... Turned off Zone Alarm and my search works........... wonder what the "F" that is all about.

It is just win explorer taht must have access to the web, if you double check in the prog section and make sure it has access all should be sweet..... as to why, i agree its like nasel sex (f@#./ nose! :D )

alright i already gave IE access buut not server access. Arte you saying it needs server access?

Not internet explorer but windows explorer, it shouldnt need server rights just internet access, i found that once i had let it access the web once it worked fine without needing either a connection or access to the web, have a go and see what happens.

How do you allow windows explorer to have internet access?

I had the exact same problem - If I launched search, it would just sit there for a good 10-20secs then give that error -

"A files that is required to run search companion can not be found. You may need to run setup."

Very occassionaly it would still work. I had no firewall whatsoever.

Anyway I found a good workaround: change back to the classic Win2000 search, which is also a lot faster (at loading, not searching)
Here's the reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState]
"Use Search Asst"="no"

Well, i looked in my registry, and it was already set to "no" so I dont' know what else to do. Any help, pointers, advice, or anything would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

try running the command "sfc /scannow" (no quotes)
from the command prompt.
It validates system files and if any are changed, missing or corrupt it will prompt you for the XP CD to re-install them.

If you are using Zone Alarm then whenever you use a program that wants to access the internet you just choose the "yes allow this to access box", if you have stopped a program from accessing the web and want to enable it to access again you just go to the programs tab. The reply that I had posted was for people using Zone alarm so that may not apply to you. I would be cautious about running an sfc as this can revert some files back to the original condition that you have changed on purpose.

:)

I would be cautious about running an sfc as this can revert some files back to the original condition that you have changed on purpose.

really? have you experienced this?

I have installed numerous OS updates, etc (not just microsoft ones) and when I ran sfc it came up with everything ok.

During installation of older apps, I have been prompted to insert the XP CD to replace overwritten .dlls though. (which I did and the programs still work)

hmm

any more info on what files sfc checks and does it ignore files that have been "signed and certified" or something?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back