Search for files on disks

A

Athlon

When I search for files on my disks the system wants to connect to the internet (call up), and if I don't connect I can't search on my disks. But if I connect I can continue to search.
How do I set the search to never call up to the ISP and just do the search on my disks?

This is an issue , which alot of discussions are about

It seems to want to call out to sa.microsft.com (207.46.226.40)

Im sorry but from what i have read I cant give you nay guidance... except turn OFF dial on demand if you have it enabled

And turn OFF AUTO Update

I've auto update set to OFF, and no auto call. If I let the search connect to internet, I'm able to search for files on disks. Next time I did a seach for files on disks I was able to do the search with out connecting to internet.:confused: But later when I try to do a search on disks it still want to connect to internet.:mad: I don't want to connect to internet every time I want to search for a file on the disks.........:confused: :confused: :confused:

I found this whole issue very frustrating so here's what I did

I removed the Search function from my start menu. Then I installed Effective File Search and put a shortcut to it on the quick launch bar.

works great......... EVERY TIME

You can find EFF here

Originally posted by LoctOut
I found this whole issue very frustrating so here's what I did

I removed the Search function from my start menu. Then I installed Effective File Search and put a shortcut to it on the quick launch bar.

works great......... EVERY TIME

You can find EFF here

woah u rock man :D

This app is many many many times faster than windows built in search and it even searches the hidden temp. internet files folder by default. I strongly recommend that everybody download it now and test it against windows default search with indexing off

good work LoctOut

on my windows search, I can`t do any thing without connecting to the net first. If I don`t connect then I can`t search for anything !

LoctOut thanks , that also solved the problem for me too

Why in the hell does XP need to connect to internet to search a Local Drive ?

Glad you liked it. I kept trying to find a way to make the XP search on the menu associate to EFF but gave up. Maybe someone out there could help us with that and then you couild take the shortcut off the quick launch bar

I have found that Zone Alarm will stop that connection, and it can be setup to automatically do that. Zone Alarm doing this did not impact my hard drive search,

What i understood . . .

There is a problem with search when you're online , in other words you cannot use it when you're connected . If you get this message use the following explanation
error : " cannot search using search companion , try to run setup " and wants to connect

Result : from windows / inf ( hidden ) srchasst.pnf ( inf. file ) is corrupted . Click right on it and install ( with xp cd in device ) .
Will work then . Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back