Search Disappeared!!!!

B

bullelk

Help!!

I upgraded my computers graphics card and hard drive and decided to reformat and do a fresh install of Windows XP Home.

All was fine until I loaded SP1, now when I try to search for files by clicking on START and then Search, nothing happens!

How can I get the search function back??

To Restore Search Companion:

Go to \windows\system32 and find 'searchasst.inf'. Right click on it and select 'install'. You may be asked to put your Windows XP install disk in to find some files.

Search Disappeared

I tried that solution and some files loaded from the Windows XP CD then it asked for Windows XP SP1 CD, I don't have an XP SP1 CD but I did upgrade to SP1 via the net. What can I do now?

I experienced a similar thing under Win98.
Just one dll is to be refreshed; that one which appears in the falsely-formed fault message.

Search Missing

Erwin,

Were you able to find a fix,waht was it?

Re: Search Disappeared

Originally posted by bullelk
I tried that solution and some files loaded from the Windows XP CD then it asked for Windows XP SP1 CD, I don't have an XP SP1 CD but I did upgrade to SP1 via the net. What can I do now?
Have you tried navigating to the sp1 files that were created when you installed sp1? Should be in the windows folder.

Search Disappeared

Yes, I tried that. A file did load but when I click on start and then search.NOTHING HAPPENS.

Anyone have any ideas (besides a new install) ????????????

If you still have the sp1 download file make a slipstream cd of xp & sp1. It's not hard to do & the link to the guide is easy to find.

(you haven't used toni arts easy cleaner have you?)

Dear bullelk friend, I do not say we have common problems, but when I experienced the same, there was an error message (a very typical one), in which, amidst absolutely false statement fractures, a name of a dll appeared in a dangerously bogus context. I refreshed just this dll simply with interchange, then the problem was fixed.

Dear Erwin,

I have not recieved any error messages, when I click on Sart nothing at all happens. I am going to try to make the slipstream CD as Hipster mentioned and see if that works out tonight. I will post a foolow-uo this weekend, if it works.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back