Search Assistant

xsk8zerox

OSNN Senior Addict
When ever i search for files or folders i get an alert with nothing in it and no results are found. anyone know how to fix this?

one time my search tool completely became unusable. just gave me an error when i tried to open it. only way i fixed it was through reformatting. }:\

although i didn't try repairing windows... worth a shot.

obvoiusly make sure the settings all make sense and search all files...but i don't know y but i've found searching in explorer and the search on the startbar makes a big difference.....the startbar works well whereas the former stuffs up alot for some reason?

Removing the search assistant

Does anyone know how to remove the search assistant, and use the win2000 style search app?

Daedalus, if you install TweakUI XP, under the 'Explorer' settings there is an option to 'Use Classic Search in Explorer'. That should do it.

Thanx, now I'm happy - That search assistant is pure EVIL, EVIL I TELL YA!!!! :D

Here is how to change back to the old search with changing the registry directly and disabling the search companion.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState
Give the entry "Use Search Asst" the value "no"

This will take effect immediately without restarting

Or you can open the search assistant and press preferences and uncheck the box that says "use search assistant"

Originally posted by xsk8zerox
Or you can open the search assistant and press preferences and uncheck the box that says "use search assistant"

Hm, that seems to be the easier way... :)

can someone post a jpg of classic as i dont' know what it looks like? and if you turn it off in preferences can you turn it back on?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back