Seagate 7200.11 1TB and 1.5TB

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
Think it's safe to buy one of these now? According to Seagate, most failures were attributed to faulty firmware that has now been fixed and any new drive should have the updated firmware. There are still reviews kicking around on newegg etc that these are failing but I'd like to think that these are either old drives or just bandwagon mentality. I'd like to grab a 1.5 for some extra storage but at the same time, it's pointless if it's going to die...

You should be ok now, the firmware ironed out most of the problems, but there is a possibility of catching a batch of the old firmware still. Should still be covered under warranty.

you should be ok.. but if u want my advice, stay away from anything seagate :D

seriously... just get a wd one

I have 2 of them in my HTPC, the 1GB, 32mb cache version.

Running fine.

Also looking at the Samsung 1TB at Newegg for $80 after code. Decisions, decisions.

samsung ones are good.. and 80$ seems like a cool deal

I've read of heat problems and data corruption on the samsungs, but it doesn't appear to be widesread. Could just be a bad disk or two that got to mouthy folks.

I never hear of issues with seagate/hitachi disks from people I know at datacentres.

I have 5 1TB 7200.11 Seagate drives that I bought during that whole Firmware fiasco thing, running OpenSolaris with ZFS on it. Unfortunately I have no idea on how to get the serial numbers from the drives to see if they are affected other than shutting it down and checking the labels.

I have had absolutely no issues with them what so ever, and store a massive amount of data on those drives using raidz. The only drives I tend to buy these days is Seagate, I have not found anything else that is more reliable. I am sad to see that their warranty has gone down from 5 years to 3 years for their desktop grade hard drives, I really liked the longer warranty even though I have not had to use it yet.

I just bought the Samsung for $80. I think my next drive will be the first 2TB to hit <$200.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back