SCSI Hardware

Nick

OSNN Lurker
I've recently got hold of an old Dell Precision 330. I have been running Knoppix on it from a live CD, but I got fed up of the slow speeds and decided to install Gentoo. Since then I've been seeing errors from the SCSI drive.

To be honest I don't know a lot about SCSI hardware, just enough to get by.

I've gone into the controller setup screen and tried to format and verify the drive. It formatted without any errors, but then when I came to verify it, it wouldn't get through more than 5 percent before erroring. I can't remember the error exactly, and I'm not near the computer at the moment to get it, but it wasn't obviously an error with the drive, it was something along the lines of "unexpected command" or "unexpected response". This set me thinking as to wether it was the controller or the drive that was faulty.

Can anyone shed any light on this or give me a way to test them? I don't have a spare controller or drive to swap in and test and don't want to spend any money on either before knowing which part is at fault.

Thanks in advance :)

Replace the cable is my first reaction adn run the test again. If you're lucky thats all it'll be and you'll only be out at most £15 if you get the most expensive cable you can find :)

I managed to borrow a controller from work. Turned out I had one sat in a server not connected to anything!

Looks like it was the controller at fault though. No errors so far with the new controller.

Cheers for the advice :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back