Scripting Program Recommendations

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I have been using WISE Installer for about 6 months, and my organization is looking to change products. Our sole requirement is the ability to build .MSI packages, and something that you can build from scratch and edit on the fly so to speak. SMS came up, but last I used that (around a year ago), you kind of had to record what you did or something like that, which won't cut it for what we need. It may have changed, and if it has I may look at it.

Front runner at the moment is Windows Installshield, but I wanted to see if anyone had recommendations for what they may use for building .MSI's, and what they though about their current products.

TIA!

well, WISE and Installshield are probably two major gorilla's in the market for MSI packaging. Why are you moving off WISE? I was pretty happy with WISE the times that I've used it.

You can do pretty much anything you want with installshield.. provided you take the time and have the aptitude to learn all of its features.

Other than those two, you can use Visual Studio to create msi's (have fun with that! :) )

Other non-MS third party apps that I've had some success with in eval or production use:
MSI Studio
and
Advanced Installer
Both of these were used to create quick and simple packages

You can look at some free tools which I've used mostly to modify and repackage existing MSI's (not create new ones from scratch):
WiX
and
Orca (from the Microsoft Installer SDK)

WISE is no longer releasing new versions for their Packaging suites, moreover it's being re-vamped and put into a suite. We are just looking at new possibilities, and I will look over MSI Studio/Advanced Installer.

The free tools won't really help or apply, but thanks for the feedback :D

really?
Didn't Altiris just release a new version of the Wise Package Studio like 2 months ago?

really?
Didn't Altiris just release a new version of the Wise Package Studio like 2 months ago?
Yeah you are right, but due to the fact they don't offer the Wise for Windows Installer as a Standalone anymore we wanted to compare versus other possible cost effective solutions. Granted, there are upgrade paths, just kind of reviewing options at this point.

That being said, Advanced Installer seems VERY promising. A lot of the testimonials reference being much easier to work with than Wise, stating things can be done in something like 1/10th of the time.

I'm going to fiddle with a trial.

Yeah.. I did some work with the freeware version of Advanced Installer to create a simple package for an app a while back. It does work well and the price was right.
:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back