Screen tear during games..

D

donkey

While playing games, there is a tear in the screen. For example, in NBA Live 2001, the players shorts get spearated and it tears then reconnects and just flickers.

Why is this happening? I have the 29.42 det drivers (Geforce 4 MX 440) and have used the refresh lock as well.

Originally posted by donkey
the players shorts get spearated and it tears then reconnects and just flickers.
Sounds like those players have been eating some of those refried beans. :D

Also, I play in 1280x1024x32. At this mode, the tear is alot more noticeable.

In the refresh lock configuration, it says at 1280x1024x32, the safest refresh rate is 60 and at 800x600x32, the safest is 100. When I play the game in 800x600, the tear is nearly all gone but the game looks crap.

If I over-ride the safety 60 value in the refesh lock to say 85 for 1280x1024x32, will this harm the monitor or the system.

If it might, is there anyway to get a refresh rate of more than 60Hz while playing in 1280x1024x32.

Thanks

How can you fix that problem??!?!?!?

Try buying a new monitor, ...... if the only refresh rate available at 1280x1024x32 is 60hz, that means that thats the most your monitor can handle.... try using 1024x768x32 @ 75Hz, your monitor might support that.......

RaZoR

My monitors only 3 weeks old. I could try running the game at 1024x768x32 @ 75Hz but it just doesn't look as good at 1280x1024x32 but if it means no more tears, I'll just do it.

If I set my 1280x1024x32 to make it run @ 85 Hz or higher (Meaning an unsafe frequency), what's the worst that can happen. The game just look bad or can something be damaged.

You can burn out the monitor if it will allow you to go over stock speeds, without an out of sync warning. but by rights the monitor will just pop a black screen saying it wont work at those levels. and unless you have above a GF3 TI500 i would stick at 1024x768 for gaming.

Vsync is already turned on. Hasn't been turned off at all. I havent actually run any higher than 60 Hz at 1280x1024x32. I'll just try it to see if it fixes the problem.

I might just have to use a lower resolution for this game. All other games (GTA 3, MOH:AA) work and look fine at 1280x1024x32 just not NBA Live 2001.

Have you tried getting the latest drivers for your monitor ? Rather than just using the default XP drivers, I found that using the correct drivers gave me better refresh rates - for example I used to be able to get 85hz @ 1024x768, but with the correct drivers I can now have 100hz)
It may also be worthwhile using the NVRefresh Tool which can be found in the downloads section of this site - as WinXP will default to 60hz when playing games. Hope that helps :D

60hz? damm how old your monitor?just set it to optimal...under display settings doesnt it give you the highest your monitor can handle?

Originally posted by [CpK]Bastid
60hz? damm how old your monitor?just set it to optimal...under display settings doesnt it give you the highest your monitor can handle?

It's only 3 weeks old. Practically brand new. Under the monitor settings, it gives me the highest safest frequency which is @ 85Hz.

I could use refresh lock to make it run at say 100Hz but am unsure if and what damage it might do to my monitor.

Can you really notice a difference between say 60Hz and 85Hz. Like is it real noticeable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back