Scheduled Tasks Troubles

I have a task that I use to shutdown my computer but it is pretty much useless to me. It won't run any tasks unless my desktop is visible (ie. no screen saver and not at the welcome screen). This is very annoying because I don't want to leave my desktop showing but I want it to shutdown at a certain time. I put in my password for the account to run the task as and it works just fine if I'm at my desktop. I've been meaning to redo my comp shortly neways but I haven't gotten around to it. I think this might have something to do with my Logitech Elite Duo and the software from Logitech. I had an older Logitech keyboard before and with the software for that it worked fine and I could also control my music from the welcome screen with the keyboard controls but with this new Logitech software I can't do that. (This was happening before I installed SP1) It wouldn't really make sense to me for that to be the problem but I'm just theorizing and I figure that maybe a clean install with a SP1 integrated CD would fix things up. I'm running XP Pro SP1 atm.

note- download the attached zip for a shutdown script. It's a vbs script that shuts down your computer and doesn't leave it at that annoying screen telling you it's safe to turn your computer off now. It's the script I use in my scheduled task.

Did you try to schedule shutdown.exe recently? With SP1 installed it shuts down the computer completely not leaving you at this "It is now save..." screen.
Not sure if it makes a difference to your script.

the account I'm using to make the task and putting the password in for is an admin account.

Originally posted by yoyo
Did you try to schedule shutdown.exe recently? With SP1 installed it shuts down the computer completely not leaving you at this "It is now save..." screen.
Not sure if it makes a difference to your script.

hmmmm... no.. i haven't tried it since SP1 install... I'll have to give it a go.. but it won't make a difference atm because it won't run any scheduled tasks unless my comp is at my desktop and not in a screensaver or at the welcome screen... which is where I leave it when I'm not there so no one else can mess with my stuff.

well... that script I was going to use only seems to work when my desktop is showing... I've tried making a task to run and then logging into another account and it doesn't shutdown but if I do the same thing with the built in XP shutdown it works
At least Microsoft got one thing fixed with SP1... the shutdown prog they include :D
I wonder if you could just copy the SP1 shutdown.exe to a non SP1 XP install and have it work properly... I attached the SP1 shutdown if neone wants to give it a try.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back