Scandisk looping at boot time

mona

OSNN Newbie
Hi!

Help me please! When my computer starts, the scandisk start and after it's done (without any trace of corrupt file), it reboot again and start the scandisk again... on and on and on...

What should I do?

I tried to boot in safe mode, but it didn't work..

Thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought MS ditched Scandisk for XP.

They replaced it with some sort of error checking tool. You can get to it my going into the properties of your hard drive within My Computer.

Try this:

Boot with the XP installation CD.

When prompted, press R to repair a Windows XP installation.

If repairing a host with multiple operating systems, select the appropriate one (XP) from the menu. If you have only one operating system, enter 1 to select it.

Enter the administrator password if prompted.

To fix the MBR, use the following command:

fixmbr

This assumes that your installation is on the C:\ drive. You will be presented with several scary warning lines the reading of which will make you want to say no. Microsoft is exceptionally vague regarding the conditions under which fixmbr can cause problems although they are clear about the consequences (losing all data on the hard drive), so use this at your own risk.

Type y and ENTER to fix the MBR.

Type exit to leave the recovery console and reboot.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_installation_tips483.html

Hi!

Thanks for the answer.
I'm not able to boot from the cd, even if I changed the boot sequence in the bios. I get a bleu screen with an error message someting like this:
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
0x0000004E
And sometimes it just freeze... :S

I don't know the spec, it's not my computer, it a computer from the office. I guess I'll just call a technician... :cry:

Thanks!

mona said:
I don't know the spec, it's not my computer, it a computer from the office. I guess I'll just call a technician... :cry:

Thanks!

NP. Could be failing RAM - as far as MS states....

This is not a MBR error, so running fixmbr wouldn't do anything useful. It does sound like bad ram, but if you are getting a checkdisk at every boot, that means the drive is marked as dirty. You would want to boot to the recovery console [but you can't] and run chkdsk on the drive with errors.

j79zlr said:
This is not a MBR error, so running fixmbr wouldn't do anything useful. It does sound like bad ram, but if you are getting a checkdisk at every boot, that means the drive is marked as dirty. You would want to boot to the recovery console [but you can't] and run chkdsk on the drive with errors.

That is what is looping. (Chkdsk) Scandisk has been retired.

The symptoms here (running it over and over) can potentially be resolved by fixing the MBR.

No actually it can't, scandisk has been replaced by chkdsk. Chkdsk runs when the dirty bit is set on the drive, which will be removed when chkdsk runs to completion from the recovery console.

Fair enough. Was one of the potential troubleshooting steps I came across on technet.
Wouldn't hurt, ja know?

The reason she's a loopin, is cause that dirty little bit is not being set to clean.
Had to go into safe mode and force it via the registry about a year ago on my rig...

You’re still using FAT32? Bite the bullet and do a clean install of XP but use NTFS as this does not suffer from this bug. If the MBR is corrupted in some way it may be that XP thinks it’s an NTFS problem (which supports the “dirty” flag) FAT32 flags the drive in a different way I suspect and it this that’s causing the problem.

As a long shot you could try to convert the partition to NTFS using the boot disk but this could be dangerous if XP thinks it’s already an NTFS partition.

:nervous: :) :)

at the command line
fsutil dirty query C:
will tell you if the dirty bit is set

to change it
1. Run the Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). You must use Regedt32.exe and not Regedit.exe
2. Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
3. Change the BootExecute value from:
autocheck autochk *
to:
autocheck autochk /k:x *
where x is the drive letter you want

well maybe that's what she calls it she's uesd to the older versions of windows using scandisk, she is referring to windows chkdsk, i think that the chkdsk was set once to do a check but failled to remove it from the startup

hmm ive been having this exact same problem. the way that I fixed it was just by going into my computer right click on your C: drive go to properties, tools, then click check now and click both check boxes. let it reboot and let it run. it will take longer than the normal chkdsk it does 5 phases or something instead of the normal 3. i have 2 other drives (accually partitons) and I also ran it on them just to be sure and that fixed the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back