Scandisk error-what causes this

R

rj2

hello.i went to run scandisk today using Norton sysworks2002.
i rebooted then it usually does its thing.i get an error tho when it goes to start
error says that IT CANNOT OPEN VOLUME
what would cause this error all of a sudden
thnx for any suggestions

Please post you operating system, this utility does not need to re-boot normally. If your using XP you must obtain some updates to Norton 2002 from the Symantec website as the original incarnation of this programme was buggy under XP.

hello.i use winxp-pro.2002 sys works is fully up tp date.i ran chkdsk /r in recovery console,and when it rebooted it then ran scandisk.i have never been able to run norton scandisk within windows

i had the same error-i closed all programs in msconfig & then run scandisc

You can only run Norton scandisk in XP on the drive that XP is installed on in read-only mode. If it finds any errors all it does is flag the drive a “dirty” so the next time you re-boot XP itself scans the drive and not Norton. A locked (system) drive can’t have any type of disk repair utility run on it and attempt a repair, at least this is my understanding. This kind of makes most of Norton Disk Doctor redundant. This is because XP uses transactions to write to the drives so in order to check them properly you must first “unlock them”. This can only be done to a drive that does not contain the XP operating system, even then it complains bitterly.

It is possible to “unlock” and disable transaction processing on the system drive whilst it’s being used but the effort required is immense and not worth the effort and time involved.

I have, when using the chkdsk /p function from the recovery consul nearly always encountered errors on the volume or similar, which were corrected. However I doubt the significance of these messages as it seems to me that if you have just run the chkdsk function and fixed all errors, then re-boot and find the same errors again as I do for most of the time since using XP I would suggest the message is wrong and if XP boots ok then don’t worry.

:) :) :)

Dave, running chkdsk /p from the recovery console will not fix anything it only checks, chkdsk /r repairs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back