Scandisk Alternative?

ming

OSNN Advanced
Remember in the good ol' days when we had Scandisk in windows to perform checks on the disk for errors?

Was wondering what you guys would recommend as an alternative since it's not the best available in WindowsXP.
I would go back to using Norton Disk Doctor, but I don't particularly want to install Norton SystemWorks 2002 (my latest version) on my machine.

XP has check disc

To Start Check Disk

Open My Computer, right-click a drive, and then click Properties.
On the Tools tab, under Error-checking, click Check Now
To check a particular drive from the command prompt, add the drive letter after the command, for example, chkdsk c: and the check will be limited to that drive.

Is that any good for what you want?

Chkdsk doesn't really correct errors if run from inside windows.

Aside from the two by M$, are they any others that you would recommend?

just go to run and type chkddsk /f then follow what it says on the cmd. By doing this it will correct errors better since it checks before you login to xp.

I tried SpinRite a while back. It got rid of the bad sectors on the drive, infact made it as good as new. Only problem......it ain't cheap. Unless the data is very important it would be cheaper to get a new drive & start again.

TittleBitties said:
just go to run and type chkddsk /f then follow what it says on the cmd. By doing this it will correct errors better since it checks before you login to xp.
enough said right here

there really isnt really any other products to replace it.

There are two I can think of, although both will require you to buy them once the trial period expires - at least if you want the "full" version of the software.

Perfectdisk 7 - http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/
O&O Defrag Professional - http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/index.html

windows scandisk is actually a cut down version of Perfectdisk. 7 Seems OK, but I don't really see what is special about it myself - it seems to use up the same amount of memory as O&O Pro does but with less features. The defrag maybe better however.

I use O&O defrag Pro myself because its easy to set up and you get four different options to use when defragmenting. It also has like Perfectdisk a resident defragment monitor which will activtate whenever your PC isn't using too many cycles and is much more powerful/user friendly when it comes to logging problems / setting up a schedule to defrag the disk then the offline system files. Its my favourite of the two products at least.

There may be some other free peices of software that offer the same features so I would google for other defragmenters - but you can't really go wrong with the above software.

If in doubt I would try them both :D

Dublex said:
There are two I can think of, although both will require you to buy them once the trial period expires - at least if you want the "full" version of the software.

Perfectdisk 7 - http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/
O&O Defrag Professional - http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/index.html

windows scandisk is actually a cut down version of Perfectdisk. 7 Seems OK, but I don't really see what is special about it myself - it seems to use up the same amount of memory as O&O Pro does but with less features. The defrag maybe better however.

I use O&O defrag Pro myself because its easy to set up and you get four different options to use when defragmenting. It also has like Perfectdisk a resident defragment monitor which will activtate whenever your PC isn't using too many cycles and is much more powerful/user friendly when it comes to logging problems / setting up a schedule to defrag the disk then the offline system files. Its my favourite of the two products at least.

There may be some other free peices of software that offer the same features so I would google for other defragmenters - but you can't really go wrong with the above software.

If in doubt I would try them both :D

You obviously don't know the difference between a disk checker and a disk defragmenter. lol :p

Sorry, had to drop a ton of bricks on that one. :D

chkdisk is a MUCH better application then scandisk...but to correct errors you have to run it before the volume is mounted.

best to do it from the rocovery console

go with that

perris said:
chkdisk is a MUCH better application then scandisk...but to correct errors you have to run it before the volume is mounted.

best to do it from the rocovery console

go with that

Ahh, I should have mention CHKDSK instead of scandisk since XP uses that.
Anyway, so you're suggesting that everytime I want to do a check on the disk, that I should run CHKDSK (and no other) during boot up/recovery console?

you shouldn't run a chkdsk unless you have an issue to resolve...xp is self healing, and will remap bad sectors on an ntfs volume as it encounters them, on the fly.

chkdsk is a facility that's there only for catastrophes, it should NOT be used as a course of maintenance

ming said:
You obviously don't know the difference between a disk checker and a disk defragmenter. lol :p

Sorry, had to drop a ton of bricks on that one. :D

Whoops, that'll teach me not to read the scandisk / defrag heading better. :dead: My triade still stands if your interested in defragmenters though :D

As far as I know there aren't many scandisk alternatives unless Ming has a few to use to drop me in with the dodo's again :lick:

Dublex said:
Whoops, that'll teach me not to read the scandisk / defrag heading better. :dead: My triade still stands if your interested in defragmenters though :D

As far as I know there aren't many scandisk alternatives unless Ming has a few to use to drop me in with the dodo's again :lick:

:) I'm already using PD7. Thx.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back