scandisc?

bluzeboy

Bluzeboy
On reboot windows windows wants to run a ? on my portable HD,how can I remove this?
thanks

i want to remove it permantly,it is not needed,i just started
how can i remove it permantly?
my system start up is normal

It is likely running a chkdisk on the FAT partition. Reformat your USB key to NTFS and this won't happen.

Dont think he will have that option my 1 gig offers FAT or FAT32 ...my 4 gig offers only FAT32 ...

my drive is 80 Gig,i have let it scan,but on reboot it want's to scan again.

As I said, if it is FAT/FAT32 it will scan EVERY TIME during boot if it is plugged in.

the solution has been pointed out several times in this thread:

either format the drive to ntfs, or remove the drive before booting

He wants what is behind door number 3 !!

But we only have 2 doors ...

i have a massive amount of music files on the drive,is there a way to format the drive to ntfs without losing my files?

100% guaranteed, your money back, no questions?

No there isn't. Any time you change the file system "on the fly" there is risk of data loss.

Back up the data first or live with the drive scan.

run chkdsk /f /r <drive letter> in command prompt. Where <drive letter> is your driver letter followed by a colon, without angle brackets.

Repeat until it does not indicate it fixed errors.

my drive letter is F,could give me the full command,i want to make sure i have your instrucions correct.

You can convert the disk to NTFS without any need to format .. you will not loose anything ..

To convert an existing FAT or FAT32 volume to NTFS, follow these steps:

1.Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

2.At the command prompt, type the following, where drive letter is the drive that you want to convert: convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, type the following command to convert drive E to NTFS: convert e: /fs:ntfs

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back