Scan disk after every restart !

G-Money

Big Air
How do you get Win XP to run scan disk everytime you restart your computer ?

Thanks !! :)

why>! (this is not hard, but I wanted to ask before I answer... it just seemed right)

Chkdsk will run at boottime if the dirty bit is set [basically an error is detected]. There is no scan disk in XP.

oh yes - sorry - me be dumb, I meant chkdsk is not hard (so to speak)

there's a method to invoke the dirty bit, but I forgot how to do it.

Sorry.. the error-checking Utility !

Mainframeguy ---> Long story! I'll try and make it short! I work one day a week as an "IT GUY" ! There have been some computer problems happen that the error-checking fixed ! I cant make it out there often and I dont like explaining to people how to do it on the phone !! Short but sweet !!!
:p

OK my thinking is a simple script which you put in the startup...

I have not checked this out and you may also need to read this but so long as your remote users are in a situation where they are truly booting Xp I think this is very doable - after all utilities like partition magic do it all the time.

Sorry if this seems glib, but after you answered my question I fekt a duty to reply to back up my feeling although it is the wee small hours here and I am on my laptop so no time to back up my assertion with actual proof...

Let us know how it goes - I am sure a script may be forthcoming if you still have trouble

Greetings all...

sorry for the geeky bit here...

it's not actually chkdsk that runs at boot.... it's autocheck that runs and it launches chkdsk on the drive.

i think that, depending on your situation, you could create a login script that would kick off chkdsk during every boot, if you so choose.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back