SAZAR: need advice on Radeon 9800 Pro

Howling Wolf

We did not deserve this !
Hi Sazar !

I just received (this morning) my Radeon 9800 Pro (Powercolor) for 300 € (about the same in $) instead of 515 € (cheapest at the moment on Internet in FRance) :)

First, what do think or know about the brand Powercolor ?

Second, I currently have a Radeon 7500 (as you may already know). I'd prefer not to do a clean install of XP pro SP1. If I uninstall drivers and control panel from "Add/Remove programs", del all ati*.inf, and del all ATI registry keys; should it be ok ?

I hope to see tremendous perf changes in games at 1600*1200*32 ;)

Thank you in advance for your help !
Ant -|- One

There's a program that will do that for you. It's called "Driver Cleaner" and available at some "driver heaven" website. Search google, you'll find it.

Originally posted by Ant -|- One
Hi Sazar !

I just received (this morning) my Radeon 9800 Pro (Powercolor) for 300 € (about the same in $) instead of 515 € (cheapest at the moment on Internet in FRance) :)

First, what do think or know about the brand Powercolor ?

Second, I currently have a Radeon 7500 (as you may already know). I'd prefer not to do a clean install of XP pro SP1. If I uninstall drivers and control panel from "Add/Remove programs", del all ati*.inf, and del all ATI registry keys; should it be ok ?

I hope to see tremendous perf changes in games at 1600*1200*32 ;)

Thank you in advance for your help !
Ant -|- One

you should be ok... but use the app that Eck listed and it should help out more :)

make sure you use Catalyst 3.2's (should have shipped with your card) since these are 9800pro specific...

as for powercooler... they are a board partner... and they have been making cards for a while... AFAIK they are a decent company and make quality products... your board should be practically the same as the reference ATi board anyways.. :)

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
so only half the damn price of mine ;p

yah but you got yours with a half pound of weed didn't you ?

anyone see the review of the 5900 vs the 9800 pro? was one some french site.... yah 9800 got tore back by the 5900 can't wait to see what will happen in the next couple months. the comp. hasn't been this good for video cards in a long long time!

Originally posted by Krux
anyone see the review of the 5900 vs the 9800 pro? was one some french site.... yah 9800 got tore back by the 5900 can't wait to see what will happen in the next couple months. the comp. hasn't been this good for video cards in a long long time!

there are many different previews... read the fine print though... :)

the 5900ultra and the 9800pro are almost equivalent... the 5900ultra obviously having a slight advantage due to its greater bandwidth...

but do read the fine print and reviewing methods...

it was hard to read, being in french and all, and me being as lazy a I am couldn't be bothered to go translate it at google haha was just saying theres some really good stuff on the way.;)

I got a Powercolour Evil Commando Ati Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb DDR - it peforms ok, not any diff to ATI's :)

Skazz

Done ! ;)
My Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mo DDR is installed at last !
Couldn't wait for Catalyst 3.4 to come out, I installed the 3.2 version for now and will update as soon as 3.4 indeed come out.

I used the Driver Cleaner that Eck and Sazar advised me to uninstall my former Radeon 7500, but to my surprise, it found none of the files it was looking for, proving this way that Catalyst 3.2 uninstalled themselves full well !

What I do not understand though, is that I have the Radeon 9800 Pro listed correctly in the device manager, but a "Radeon 9800 Pro secondary )" is also listed just below it, using no extra irq...
What's this ? Is this normal ? Why ? What for ?

I'm now waiting for you to light my way in my amazement... please !

Electronic Punk:
so only half the damn price of mine ;p

I found someone to buy my Radeon 7500 for 80€, so my 9800 Pro, which I actually paid 320€ including the delivery service, costed (English ?) me only 240€ ;) , actually less than the 9500 Pro I wanted to buy in the begining at a local store (253€)

Near future will tell I'm very happy with it ! ;)

Too late to test it right now
( just a little actually: 109,046364 in flyby and 41.09 in botmatch (UT2K3, benchmark) at 1600*1200),
must go to bed asap because I wake up early tomorrow (06am) ! ;)

The Radeons have dual monitor capability. The second install is for your second display. It's normal.

BTW. Best video card I've seen for overclocking and manufacturing quality is a Powercolor GE2 PRO a friend lent me. I'd buy powercolor anytime.

Great news ! Relief ! ;)
What's the best soft to see the actual clock/mem speeds of my 9800 Pro ?

Originally posted by Ant -|- One
Great news ! Relief ! ;)
What's the best soft to see the actual clock/mem speeds of my 9800 Pro ?

powerstrip or using rage3d's own software...

www.rage3d.com

on the front page you should have a listing...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back