Say goodbye to AGP and PCI

ignipotentis

OSNN Addict
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,903746,00.asp

INTEL is adopting PCI Express for its larger bandwidth capacity. Expect the new chipset out within the year. One reminder however. the 440LX sucked... it was the BX that made AGP very popular. Unless your the type that likes to pay the Cutting Edge Tax, i'd sudgest waiting untill the second or third revision of chipsets with the PCI Express bus become availible.

The real question is... Do you buy that brand new ATI Radeon 9700 Pro now that you know the entire bus of your system can soon be alot faster?

No, the REAL question is: is your system fast enough? Do you need all these new technologies?

Originally posted by Glaanieboy
No, the REAL question is: is your system fast enough? Do you need all these new technologies?

*Notes that he still runs a PIII 550MHz box with an Intel i440BX chipset*
I'm convinced: A good amount of RAM can do wonders. ;)

Originally posted by NetRyder
*Notes that he still runs a PIII 550MHz box with an Intel i440BX chipset*
I'm convinced: A good amount of RAM can do wonders. ;)

Me? No I am running a PIII 800 MHz box with some VIA chipset.
But, I am gonna replace the system during the summer. Or maybe I'll just wait for the new PCI-express boxes... :D

Originally posted by Glaanieboy
Me? No I am running a PIII 800 MHz box with some VIA chipset.
But, I am gonna replace the system during the summer. Or maybe I'll just wait for the new PCI-express boxes... :D

Hehe, no. I meant I run a PIII 550 with a 440BX chipset, and that 512 MB of RAM makes it quite snappy. :)

yep my Athlon 1.4GHz combined with 768MB RAM runs ver fast to my surprise!

I am absolutely stumped by the fact that you titled this forum topic "Say goodbye to AGP and PCI". AGP and PCI will be around for a LONG time yet. mostly because:

a) they've been around for a long time and they work
b) it's not like they're gonna put half a dozen PCI express slots on a motherboard the instant it comes out!

i'd say about 80% of everything you can buy that goes into an expansion slot is PCI. only thing that is AGP is video cards, and most likely the only thing that will be PCI express will be video cards.

/looks at box full of ISA NICs, video, and sound cards

I say we bring back ISA!! :p

/sees they are coax NICs, 2mb video cards and 8bit sound cards

Well.... maybe not. :huh:

I do think they're gonna throw in the pci express ports in stead of regular pci, since they are backwards compatible...so 'old' pci cards will work too, i just don't think they's gonna replace agp just yet....since they can get much more profit from it as it is....

pci express is still not fast enough to handle the bandwidth the cards of today have... there has to be a new, more highly scalable standard...

agp 8x though has yet to be utilised so pci expres.. no offense... but it is highly unlikely to be the savior being touted... heck programs are just not taking advantage of agp 4x... agp 8x @ the moment offers no discernible advantages other than POTENTIALLY 2 times the bandwidth @ 2.1gb/s

compare that with the almost 20 gb/s bandwidth of my video card and you can see the bottlenecks right there...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back