saving favorites

bluzeboy

Bluzeboy
when i add a favorite to my list ,how can i prevent the website i am saving from attaching it's own graphics symbol
i want the IE signature not theres.
such as when i try to save( tvguide.com) ,they attach there own Symbol instead of IE'S.

it's called a favicon...you can permanently change the favorites that are allready in, by right clicking and changing the icon.

I would say to make the file that stores those folders read only, but they're stored in the temp internet files

perris-i've looked the folder containing my favorites & all the other icons have the IE sig but that one.how should i proceed?

do i need to download some sort of program?

the favorites that are there can be permanently changed just by right clickng, properties, change icon.

as far as preventing the favicon from being downloaded in in the first place, I'm not sure if there'sa way to do that...the favicon is stored in the histroy portion of the temp internet files, and I don't think you want to make the that file read only.

there might be a reg hack...maybe yoyo knows.

it should be able to be done, but I don't know how.

there's a program called favorg, it's free, this program stores the favicons in a folder that you can play around with, but I'mpretty sure there's nothing in there that you'll be able to useto prevent the favicon from getting downloaded in the first place

Internet Explorer and other brpwsers have the facility whereit associates a particular icon with your website in the bookmark. It tries to obtain that icon by first requesting for "favicon.ico" from the directory of your web page.

maybe there's a way to resrict "favicon.ico

thank's for your feedback so far,but I'm afraid in that particular folder right-clicking /properties the only option presented is a general tab.
i know what your saying -I've done what you suggested & that option is available on other folders.try going to that folder on your box & you will see what i mean.

O.K. I decided that I am getting too old to keep typing in sites and decided to set up my favourites. I have seen that users (members and guests) have been saying they have been losing theirs, well the .ico files anyway.

This is what I did to save them (the .ico file), so on my favourites the favicon is displayed.

I went to every site on my favourites and add at end of address /favicon.ico example www.osnn.net/favicon.ico and then was given a small .ico in browser and I either copied and pasted it to desktop then renamed it or if it would not save that way just saved as.

I then created a new folder in favourties I named Fav-Cons call it something else if you want and dropped each .ico file into the folder with a different name (recommended as they might replace each other). I then right clicked each web document in turn in the favourites folder and then browsed to the icon which in my case was 'C:\Documents and Settings\Lee\Favorites\Fav-Cons' selected .ico file I wanted, without quotes and pressed ok. New icon created in favourites.

See below:

Another thing if you look at my favourites they have missing favicons, been to the sites can't find one for it, if you know of a favicon that could replace it please post thanks!

Attachments

• fi.gif
    fi.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 71
or you could use something like FavOrg which manages all you FavIcons for you (and makes them perm)

clean out your temp internet files and such, I am neve able to save the icons. Cleaning out remp internet files, history files, cache, and such is the cause of it ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back