Saving email pix

sy64004

OSNN Addict
Can anyone help. I have recieved some really funny gifs in my emails. not as attachments, but as part of the email.

Can anyone tell me how I can save the individual images?? I'm using outlook and it lets me save them as BMPs or msg files.

Thanks in advance

Si

I have Outlook 2003 and I can save gifs as they originally are. Those gifs could also show up as attachments. You'll have to experiments, Outlook isn't very scientific about attachments.

I have the same problem sy64004, still haven't figured it out

vern said:
I have Outlook 2003 and I can save gifs as they originally are. Those gifs could also show up as attachments. You'll have to experiments, Outlook isn't very scientific about attachments.

Care to elaborate on that Vern??

Elaborate on the gifs showing up as attachments? They basically are attachments, just embedded into the e-mail to show up within the e-mail itself. Someone might be able to give more details as my knowledge of it is pretty sketchy.

This works in Word documents so maybe it would work in Outlook as well.

Highlight the photo and right-click/copy then open a graphics program to paste the photo into.
Then save as in whatever format you want.

X-Istence said:
Use any non crappy software. Might i suggest thunderbird?

I agree
Here
Its a lot better than outlook IMO..but thats just me :D

Oh, so Thunderbird is bug-free, is it?
rolleyes.gif

How about trying to find a solution to the guy's problem, people? As far as I can tell, the original post didn't ask for alternative mail clients.

American Zombie said:
This works in Word documents so maybe it would work in Outlook as well.

Highlight the photo and right-click/copy then open a graphics program to paste the photo into.
Then save as in whatever format you want.
This does work as this is what I have to do ... why should I/we have to go through all this trouble just to save a JPG or GIF?

NetRyder said:
Yes, I know. Thank you for that.
smile.gif

My post was directed at X-Istence and zeke_mo.

I wasnt making any claim that it was perfect I just said that I liked it over outlook...for me it is a lot more simple and easier to use....and I am sure there is a list of problems for outlook as well. Thunderbird is a bit more easy to use, and I thought maybe it would help this person with their problem

zeke_mo said:
I wasnt making any claim that it was perfect I just said that I liked it over outlook...for me it is a lot more simple and easier to use....and I am sure there is a list of problems for outlook as well. Thunderbird is a bit more easy to use, and I thought maybe it would help this person with their problem
Thunderbird and Outlook are two very different beasts. I used to use Thunderbird myself for a long time. It's a killer replacement for Outlook Express, but Outlook is a complete personal information manager. It's one of those apps for which I have not been able to find a single worthy alternative until today.
The point is people use the software they use for certain reasons (for example, I need to sync my calendar data with my cellphone, and I can only do that with Outlook or Lotus), and it's just far more helpful to offer a solution to the problem the person is having rather than starting off with pushing alternatives.

Q: "My computer was infected by a virus. What should I do?"
A: "Get a Mac"/"Use Linux!"
Q: "My IE window won't stay maximized. Any help?"
A: "Get Firefox!!!"

Doesn't help. You just end up looking like a walking, talking advertisement.

Thanks guys for all the replies.

firstly I use outlook because I like how Word is the email editor. I use firefox insted of IE but wont stop using Outlook.

The pix I want to save are animated gif files so if I paste them into paintshop pro I can export them to gif files but they are then still images.

I tried following the instructions from the link you gave me, NetRyder but when I try to run the macro I get the error message "Object variable or with block variable not set"

Can anyone help me out on this???

Again thanks for all the help

Si

Yeah, I seemed to run into the same thing with the macro. Will look into it some more later.

Ok, thanks to the nice folks at Channel9, we now have a solution (although not the most elegant one) to the problem. Here's what you do:

When you receive a message containing embedded images, open the mail, and while it's open, switch to a command prompt window (Start>Run>cmd). The embedded image is located in your temporary internet files folder. I think a screenshot would be the quickest way to explain:

cmd.PNG

Now you can just copy the image to a more permanent location ("copy planet.gif C:\" for example)

smile.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back