Satellite view of Earth

L

Lee

World Wind lets you zoom from satellite altitude into any place on Earth. Leveraging Landsat satellite imagery and Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data, World Wind lets you experience Earth terrain in visually rich 3D, just as if you were really there.

Virtually visit any place in the world. Look across the Andes, into the Grand Canyon, over the Alps, or along the African Sahara or even Europe :D

System Requirements
  • Windows 2000, XP Home, or XP Professional Intel Pentium 3, 1 GHz, or AMD Athlon or higher 256 MB of RAM
  • 3D Graphics Card
    • nVidia GeForce 2 Ultra ATI Radeon 7500
    • Intel Extreme Graphics 2
    DSL / Cable connection or faster
  • 2 GB of disk space
Notes

World Wind benefits most from a video card with 3D acceleration. If you don't know whether your machine comes with one, it is likely to have one built in if the computer was purchased within the past two years. Here is a list of video cards that have been reported to work with World Wind.

World Wind requires that you have .NET runtime environment and DirectX installed. You can download .NET runtime environment and DirectX runtime.

World Wind comes with data you can zoom into. After a certain point, World Wind will begin to download more images automatically. The servers hosting this information are very busy and may be unresponsive until we get the necessary infrastructure.

More information at N.A.S.A.

Please check back frequently for updates to World Wind.

Full:
Previous Releases

1.2e:
(updates 1.2d)
Download (1.9 MB) | Release notes
1.2d:
(updates 1.2c)
Download (2.8 MB) | Release notes
1.2c:
(updates 1.2b)

Download (5 MB)

this is a cool program. and if you get all the other download packages from nasa its can get to like a 3m rez its really cool. but if you have dual monitor it willl leg the other one LOL but yea if you get a chance download it and try it out. i have been useing this since about october its cool

canadian_divx said:
this is a cool program. and if you get all the other download packages from nasa its can get to like a 3m rez its really cool. but if you have dual monitor it willl leg the other one LOL but yea if you get a chance download it and try it out. i have been useing this since about october its cool

Downloading it now, @60% can't wait to start spying on you all :p

I would try it but i have dial up :(.

Tried World Wind a few days ago and it does not compare to Keyhole which you can go all the way to ground zero with.
I could see my house and the trees around it with Keyhole.

TittleBitties said:
I would try it but i have dial up :(.

the person above me has dial up... err.. sorry, wrong room. :p

come over to my place... I'm ripping 170mb from the server at 412KB/s
0-100% in approx 7mins. lol ;)
that's crap compared to downloading WinXP64 last night (555mb in 19mins 20secs). wahoooo!

Dl'ing 170MB @581 kb/s total time 4min 18sec.

Never tried Keyhole but you only get a 7 day trial :cry:

dang... mine completed in 8mins 18secs... av dl rate 351kb.

I like world Wind and all the features.

Had mine around for almost 5 mos.

Well I noticed that World Wind doesn't get very detailed at all. With Keyhole I can zoom in down to like 3000ft or so, I can't seem to get detail to even see houses with worldwind. Am I not using it right?

i am on dialup, but i can download files at a friend's place... do i have to have a running internet connection to use this?

can i 'pre-download' any images so that i can use it on my own pc?

could somebody post a couple of screenshots so we can see what its like?

Maveric169 said:
Well I noticed that World Wind doesn't get very detailed at all. With Keyhole I can zoom in down to like 3000ft or so, I can't seem to get detail to even see houses with worldwind. Am I not using it right?
Select the urban area satellite and it gets better. However it only shows over certain areas (Washington DC, LA and some more).

My home village was printed wrong btw. It said "Bankeberg", which was the name it had some time before I was born (and I'm 23!). Now it's called "Vikingstad". I wonder how old their database is. ;)

wow that sounds like a cool prog Lee. Im going to check it out once I get home. =)

I've already had this for a while. Very cool app. :)

I could see my Village from about 3 miles up, about as close as it got.

I might give that keyhole thingy-ma-jig a try, a 7 day trial is fine, problem is I wanted something permanent, as I want to make a whole map of my area.

I hope this beta gets better!

I can't get too close...how do you get that urban area satalite, is it the urban area ortho?

so far I'm kind of board unless I can get more detail...nice affects btw

Well I can tell you that Keyhole database is about 5 years old. It shows my current residence as an empty construction lot from when they were building my apartment complex. This complex is 5 years old.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back